Purging injectors

Alex B

Equipment
L-35
May 23, 2013
Loveland
I am having trouble clearing the air out of my injectors after changing the fuel filter. I have loosened the injector lines from the injectors, opened the purge valve on the side of the engine, and turned the engine over. No fuel comes out of the injector lines after several tries. Any other ideas? How long should I have to crank the engine? My L-35 doesn't seem to have a cylinder decompression lever.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
You may have to bleed the injection pump first. I have never had to do either one on my B7100, but I did on the V-2203 in my Bobcat skidsteer. There is a wheel/valve that allows the air/fuel to pump back to the tank as it bleeds out of the pump. Once I bled the pump, then I could bleed the injectors.
Make sure that your new filter is on properly and seated correctly- any little bit of air that can pull through will keep the pump/injectors from bleeding.
Welcome to OTT!

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
I suppose maybe the newer tractors are a little different but on my old M series - Install new filter, bleed filter with the vent screw/plug 'till no bubbles come out, then close, open bleed valve at injector pump, pull stop knob, crank with starter 10-15 seconds, close bleed valve, start motor and go to work. Shouldn't have to loosen injector lines. If the injector pump has air free fuel supply it will take care of itself.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I've been a Kubota owner for going on 30 yrs and never once have I needed to loosen a injector line to crank the engine after changing the fuel filter. If the filter is properly installed and bled it should be as simple as turning the little knob at the injector pump and crank the engine over a few seconds. It should fire right up.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
I agree unless inj pump has been run out of fuel there should be no need to bleed fuel inj pump or injectors just from changing fuel filter. Just bleed air out of filter and crank engine.