Problems encountered when running a used BX2660

threeoranges

Equipment
BX2660
Aug 9, 2024
Orange, TX
I recently bought a used BX2660 with implements. I understand it had two previous owners, my seller and one other owner.

There is something wrong in the Operator Presence Control sensors which sometimes prevents startup. I think it is in the PTO clutch lever.

Last night it would not start despite being in neutral and the PTO clutch in neutral. Here is a video (mostly just audio) of my trying to start it:

This morning, it started fine, with no changes to any of the levers, which makes me think a temperature change caused the sensor to fail. It was over 100 degrees F last night.

When the key is in the "ON" position before the engine is started, the engine compartment makes a constant buzzing noise (the only sound in the above video until I try turning the key several times). That was all I could hear last night when I tried to start it. Is that noise normal?

That noise still happens today despite the engine starting fine. At first, I thought it was the solenoid to kill the engine constantly firing based on the OPC, but the book says that the OPC kill happens around once per second, and this was much faster.

The front loader hydraulic joystick does not lock very well. Even when it's "locked", I can move the loader with some moderate effort. I'm not trying to move the joystick so hard so as to break it.

When the engine is being started, the fuel gauge fluctuates wildly. I do not know if this is normal, or if it indicates a problem with fuel pressure or something else.

I bought a new Grammer seat which needs to be installed while keeping the safety sensors happy. Is that possible without bypassing the safety sensors? The old seat is torn and taped up, and doesn't have armrests.

Now, for the most serious problem: The tractor struggles to cut 24" simple grass (no twigs) with a RCR1548 brush hog. It makes loud noises, puts out dark smoke, knocks and shakes violently, and sometimes stalls. I am not comfortable using it like this. With a 20 HP PTO, I would not have expected it to struggle like this on simple tall grass.

The tractor has had two previous owners. I do not know how well they kept it up, but I am concerned that it may need a new engine. It definitely needs a major tuneup and fluid check. The oil and coolant levels look okay, and the oil is clean.

I don't plan to use it again until a Kubota dealer looks at it. Any ideas of what could be causing those problems?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The ticking sound is normal, it's the electric lift pump.
The fuel gauge jumping is also normal.

When trying too start it, if it does not start move the levers one at a time also rock the HST pedal back and forth, this is one of the most common no start issues.

How tall and how thick of grass?
When was the last time it was mowed?
Are you running the tractor at full throttle?

Black smoke indicates it's being overloaded, try slowing down and see what that does for you.

Your tractor only puts out 19.5HP to the PTO and that cutter is looking for a minimum of 20HP to run it.
So your already pushing it past it's limits.

There really is no need to dump a bunch of money in it for a dealer to look at it.
And it's HIGHLY unlikely that it need an engine, you didn't say how many hours are on it, but I've got engines here with 6K hours and they still run like champs.

Reactions: 1 users