Polishing your fuel

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
A friend has a large sailboat that has a diesel engine installed for auxiliary power when needed. Since the tank is always exposed to moisture, there must be a way to remove that moisture periodically. He built a portable "fuel polisher" to clean and remove the moisture. I just searched a "fuel polisher" and found that on a boating forum, a user posted how he made one for his boat. I have used his polisher a few times to clean my fuel tank on the BX23S. If I felt that I needed to own one, I would spend the $300 that this would cost to build. Here is a link to the discussion and links to the parts used to build one. https://www.trawlerforum.com/threads/my-take-on-diy-fuel-polishing-system-15-gal-per-min.66931/

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Interesting link. Polishing fuel is "removing moisture"? I'm not familiar with that terminology.

Back when diesel was $5 a gallon, a few years back, I filtered drained motor oil through filters and used as fuel in one of the tanks on a 6.9 diesel in an '84 Ford had.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
A friend has a large sailboat that has a diesel engine installed for auxiliary power when needed. Since the tank is always exposed to moisture, there must be a way to remove that moisture periodically. He built a portable "fuel polisher" to clean and remove the moisture. I just searched a "fuel polisher" and found that on a boating forum, a user posted how he made one for his boat. I have used his polisher a few times to clean my fuel tank on the BX23S. If I felt that I needed to own one, I would spend the $300 that this would cost to build. Here is a link to the discussion and links to the parts used to build one. https://www.trawlerforum.com/threads/my-take-on-diy-fuel-polishing-system-15-gal-per-min.66931/
For eleven years, I had a 44' DeFever trawler, with 900 gal fuel capacity.
"black iron" fuel tanks.
I built myself a fuel polishing system, on the aft bulkhead of the walk in engine room.
I polished fuel frequently to keep it clean, and fee of moisture.

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
I've polished diesel a few times but on overhead storages I periodically drain a sample to check for water. I install tank tilted toward OPPISITE end that hose is attached. Drain plug is replaced with ball valve with a hose barb. If I detect water I draw more samples on consecutive days until no water appears. Twice I found enough water to justify cleaning up. I believe I can build a polisher to handle more than a BX tank holds for less than $300.
Having a large quaintly onboard a vessel presents some unusual considerations ,esp if vessel is only used sporadically going far offshore.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I've polished diesel a few times but on overhead storages I periodically drain a sample to check for water. I install tank tilted toward OPPISITE end that hose is attached. Drain plug is replaced with ball valve with a hose barb. If I detect water I draw more samples on consecutive days until no water appears. Twice I found enough water to justify cleaning up. I believe I can build a polisher to handle more than a BX tank holds for less than $300.
Having a large quaintly onboard a vessel presents some unusual considerations ,esp if vessel is only used sporadically going far offshore.
A tractor isn’t a boat.

I suggest just using the tractor more more and the question will disappear.

LOL… But actually, seriously… I don’t polish my tractors either, but I think if I had to choose between one or the other, I would polish the tractors!

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
A tractor isn’t a boat.

LOL… But actually, seriously… I don’t polish my tractors either, but I think if I had to choose between one or the other, I would polish the tractors!
I polished my tractor....once!
......When I got it from the original owner, in a somewhat faded state.
I have absolutely no desire to polish my tractor fuel!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
A boat,, A hole in the water in to which one throws money,,,,, damn I miss mine

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
A tractor isn’t a boat.

LOL,you are one smart cracking jessy but seriously I doubt anyone cares if you polish your tractor.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
LOL,you are one smart cracking jessy but seriously I doubt anyone cares if you polish your tractor.
Absolutly, I couldn’t agree more…😊 At least about the polishing part. Never claimed to be smart, aside from maybe being a smart a$$ at times…😳

• Haha

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
This topic "could" go astray at any moment.

Polishing, what a reference term.. :ROFLMAO: