Pin on forks for an LA302 loader?

TheManUpNorth

Equipment
2001 Kubota B7500
Sep 25, 2023
Ontario Canada
I recently acquired a 2001 Kubota B7500 with an LA302 loader on it to maintain a piece of property I unexpectedly inherited. As such my tractor budget was kind of limited hence why I didn't buy something newer with a skid steer coupler in the first place. I really could use a set of forks for it but all the quick attach conversions for this loader like the ATI one Ask Tractor Mike sells are made cost prohibitive by the fact that I'm in Canada and the CBSA will charge me up the wazoo for trying to import any of this stuff. Furthermore most of the places that sell these don't even ship up here in the first place or will only ship it if you're a business.

So I had another thought. I noticed that the bucket is held on by the same pins that hold my 3 point top link on and are fastened in place with lynch pins rather than being bolted on so they actually remove quite easily. As such it really wouldn't be any harder than changing a 3 point implement to take the bucket on and off so a pin on pallet fork might do the job just fine.

Is anyone aware of a pin on pallet fork for this loader that is available in Canada? Does such a thing even exist? I have seen them for the BX but so far not for the B series.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
possible option ?
can you weld, or know a welder ?
You an use 4by4 angle iron(even 3by3) sections to make the pin-on frame and then use regular forklift forks as , well, the forks. You'll have maybe $100-200 for all the steel and forks, 1-2 hrs of welders time.
2 sections, each with holes where the mtg pins go are welded to form a 'U'. next 'cross' pieces top and bottom form the rest of the 'frame'.If 16" apart, forklift forks slide on real nice.

I did this for one of my other 'oranges' to lift giant pumpkins 5-10 years ago.

TheManUpNorth

Equipment
2001 Kubota B7500
Sep 25, 2023
Ontario Canada
possible option ?
can you weld, or know a welder ?
You an use 4by4 angle iron(even 3by3) sections to make the pin-on frame and then use regular forklift forks as , well, the forks. You'll have maybe $100-200 for all the steel and forks, 1-2 hrs of welders time.
2 sections, each with holes where the mtg pins go are welded to form a 'U'. next 'cross' pieces top and bottom form the rest of the 'frame'.If 16" apart, forklift forks slide on real nice.

I did this for one of my other 'oranges' to lift giant pumpkins 5-10 years ago.
I have a small flux welder but it's probably not up to the task of making something that heavy duty. Before I sorta gave up on that route I contacted the local welding shop about getting my bucket modified if I did find a skid steer coupler and they said it would only take about an hour to do that. They specialize in making sailboat cradles and marine work but welding is welding so maybe I should see if they could weld up a fork frame for me, they can't be any more complicated then a boat cradle.

Reactions: 1 user

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
If you're not moving anything critical, here's what I did before I bought the SSQA forks:

I used 2 pieces of very stiff pipe (fencing I think--maybe 1.75" iirc)
Cut the far tips at an angle. (to better get under stuff)
Bought the biggest ratchet straps I could find. ($29.95 at Costco...I think you could strap down a Sherman tank with these things.) I had an eyebolt at the tail end of the pipe, just for security.
Placed the 2 pipes under the bucket and then the straps go around the bucket.

Seemed to work pretty well, but visuals aren't great (bucket is always in the way of where you are looking)

I thought I posted pix here a year ago to what they looked like, but for an "almost free implement" that took me an hour to cobble together they worked pretty dang well. I doubt they'd pick up as much as "real forks" but I tossed a couple hundreds pounds around with no bending of the pipes. (I only have a BX)

EDIT: I can't seem to find the pictures I took, but I sketched this out super fast in Windows Paint just now. (can you tell that I am not a graphic artist?)

It looked something like this. My ratchet straps have big "hooks" on the end, so I was able to hook them around the top of the bucket. There were 2 or maybe more ways you could route the straps.

The #1 problem is visual.

The #2 problem was the eyebolt threads would scrape the lawn if you weren't careful.
I am sure I could've tweaked them to overcome #2 issue

p.s.-even if I could've bought clamp on forks, I wouldn't have. They tend to bend your bucket (or so I am told)
p.p.-s- I just noticed in my "drawing" (I use the term loosely) that I drew the cut on the far end of the pipe upsidedown. YMMV ;-)
bucket pipes.jpg

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I have a small flux welder but it's probably not up to the task of making something that heavy duty. Before I sorta gave up on that route I contacted the local welding shop about getting my bucket modified if I did find a skid steer coupler and they said it would only take about an hour to do that. They specialize in making sailboat cradles and marine work but welding is welding so maybe I should see if they could weld up a fork frame for me, they can't be any more complicated then a boat cradle.
Have them weld pin on brackets that match your loader onto one of these.

Dan

TheManUpNorth

Equipment
2001 Kubota B7500
Sep 25, 2023
Ontario Canada
If you're not moving anything critical, here's what I did before I bought the SSQA forks:

I used 2 pieces of very stiff pipe (fencing I think--maybe 1.75" iirc)
Cut the far tips at an angle. (to better get under stuff)
Bought the biggest ratchet straps I could find. ($29.95 at Costco...I think you could strap down a Sherman tank with these things.) I had an eyebolt at the tail end of the pipe, just for security.
Placed the 2 pipes under the bucket and then the straps go around the bucket.

Seemed to work pretty well, but visuals aren't great (bucket is always in the way of where you are looking)

I thought I posted pix here a year ago to what they looked like, but for an "almost free implement" that took me an hour to cobble together they worked pretty dang well. I doubt they'd pick up as much as "real forks" but I tossed a couple hundreds pounds around with no bending of the pipes. (I only have a BX)

EDIT: I can't seem to find the pictures I took, but I sketched this out super fast in Windows Paint just now. (can you tell that I am not a graphic artist?)

It looked something like this. My ratchet straps have big "hooks" on the end, so I was able to hook them around the top of the bucket. There were 2 or maybe more ways you could route the straps.

The #1 problem is visual.

The #2 problem was the eyebolt threads would scrape the lawn if you weren't careful.
I am sure I could've tweaked them to overcome #2 issue

p.s.-even if I could've bought clamp on forks, I wouldn't have. They tend to bend your bucket (or so I am told)
p.p.-s- I just noticed in my "drawing" (I use the term loosely) that I drew the cut on the far end of the pipe upsidedown. YMMV ;-) View attachment 112568
That's a really interesting solution, I love the creativity. Did you have to weld anything on the pipes to keep them straight on the bucket? I could see them getting pushed one way or another.

I don't think this setup is going to work for my pallet fork needs as I'm not sure I'd trust moving my heavy implements around on skids with such a setup but I'm currently doing some brush clearing and this would greatly increase my bucket's carrying capacity for branches.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
That's a really interesting solution, I love the creativity. Did you have to weld anything on the pipes to keep them straight on the bucket? I could see them getting pushed one way or another.

I don't think this setup is going to work for my pallet fork needs as I'm not sure I'd trust moving my heavy implements around on skids with such a setup but I'm currently doing some brush clearing and this would greatly increase my bucket's carrying capacity for branches.
Thanks -
I was moving mostly smaller trees, brush and some palettes with not much on them plus a big old roll of steel fencing. That sorta thing.

I didn't do any welding. Between the huge straps and the eyebolts right up against the back/bottom of the bucket the pipes didn't move any at all.......but yeah, they could have if I had bumped into anything solid at an angle.

That's why I phrased it "... If you're not moving anything critical ..."

I've since upgraded to "real forks", but they served their purpose while I was waiting for them to arrive from Kubota.

EDIT: I wanted this to be a close-to-zero-dollars as possible solution while I waited for my real forks to arrive. As to the pipes shifting side to side.....I didn't do this, but I had thoughts to add some kind of bar/pipe between the 2 pipes to stabilize them between the 2 pipes themselves (I didn't do this)
or
my 2nd thought was maybe I could've bolted on a piece of channel between the 2 pipes with muffler clamps and have that channel somehow up against the cutting edge of the bucket. I also didn't try this either.

Last edited:

drewzee87t

Equipment
L45 TLB, B2910 Turbo
May 20, 2016
misery
Order the SSQA for a L2230 from kubota. It will fit your 302

TheManUpNorth

Equipment
2001 Kubota B7500
Sep 25, 2023
Ontario Canada
Order the SSQA for a L2230 from kubota. It will fit your 302

That's super cool!

Did you notice any negative impact on your loader lift capacity? That looks like a lot of steel and my loader lifts about 300lbs less than yours does. My only other concern is how the skid steer coupler sits up higher due to the way the pins attach on the lower part so it may be tricky modifying the bucket to work with that.

That being said if those points aren't an issue then this is probably the best option because I really need a proper set of forks for what I'm doing and I will definitely look into it.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Similar to what ve9aa sketched:
I got these forks with my tractor, and they work, but I never would have bought these myself.
They hook on the bucket edge, then the chain welded to the opposite end is wrapped around the back of the bucket and hooked loosely. Then a small yellow ratchet load binder cinches them tight. Cumbersome, but it works. The biggest problem I had initially was that the PO tightened them so much that he bent the top edge of the bucket down about 2 1/2" to 3".
After straightening the bucket, I welded a piece of angle iron to the top edge to stiffen it.
The vertical rectangular pocket allows you to drop a stick of 2x4 in to prevent your load from rolling back towards the bucket, hood, and operator.
(excuse the two different paint schemes, original black & yellow and current silver & red)
IMG_0052 copyr.jpg
IMG_0227r copy.jpg
insetfork.jpg
IMG_0233.jpg
IMG_0052 copy 2.JPG

Last edited:
  • Love

drewzee87t

Equipment
L45 TLB, B2910 Turbo
May 20, 2016
misery
That's super cool!

Did you notice any negative impact on your loader lift capacity? That looks like a lot of steel and my loader lifts about 300lbs less than yours does. My only other concern is how the skid steer coupler sits up higher due to the way the pins attach on the lower part so it may be tricky modifying the bucket to work with that.

That being said if those points aren't an issue then this is probably the best option because I really need a proper set of forks for what I'm doing and I will definitely look into it.
It may not make sense for weight. I don't really think my SSQA significantly impacts loader lift, but the part does weight about 75 lb/s. I didn't modify my bucket, I bought a new lightweight bucket from EA. Using that bucket all the angles are fine and there's no binding or issues with the cylinders. I have a grapple and a set of forks. I have used the forks maybe 5 times in 3 years, but when you need them, you need them. The grapple is used more than anything else always :)

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
It may not make sense for weight. I don't really think my SSQA significantly impacts loader lift, but the part does weight about 75 lb/s. I didn't modify my bucket, I bought a new lightweight bucket from EA. Using that bucket all the angles are fine and there's no binding or issues with the cylinders. I have a grapple and a set of forks. I have used the forks maybe 5 times in 3 years, but when you need them, you need them. The grapple is used more than anything else always :)
As always..... YMMV.......

I have had a grapple for 4 years, and have never used it.

My forks seem to be on my L48 TLB most all the time!

TheManUpNorth

Equipment
2001 Kubota B7500
Sep 25, 2023
Ontario Canada
I got excited here for a second because 75lbs is actually lighter than the aftermarket product. However sadly this will not work. After measuring my loader it turns out that the 302 is narrower than the 402 and so the inner ears on the SSQA coupler are too far apart to go in between my loader arms. Specs say they're 37 7/8" inches apart and mine are 36 5/16" apart so it won't fit.

Might have to take a trip down to my local Kubota dealer with a tape measure and have a walk around the lot to see if there's another one that might work though.

drewzee87t

Equipment
L45 TLB, B2910 Turbo
May 20, 2016
misery
I got excited here for a second because 75lbs is actually lighter than the aftermarket product. However sadly this will not work. After measuring my loader it turns out that the 302 is narrower than the 402 and so the inner ears on the SSQA coupler are too far apart to go in between my loader arms. Specs say they're 37 7/8" inches apart and mine are 36 5/16" apart so it won't fit.

Might have to take a trip down to my local Kubota dealer with a tape measure and have a walk around the lot to see if there's another one that might work though.
I had read that they were all the same spec 272, 302, 402. My bad...