Pat's Easy change quick hitch

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Anybody have experience with this product? I heard about it from Tractor Mike's YouTube and it certainly looks like something worth having. https://asktractormike.com/product/pats-easy-change-quick-hitch-category-1/
I had one on my last tractor for over 15 years and really liked it. But be forewarned: I had to buy a longer toplink to use the quick hitch. It worked flawlessly during the time I owned that machine. My new tractor has telescoping lift arms, so I haven’t seen the need for a quick hitch

Reactions: 2 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I have Pats on my B. I have a QH20 on my MX but wish I had a Pats on it. I think the Pats accepts a wider variety of implements and also makes hook up easier. I prefer the Pats.

Tenalach Farms

Equipment
Kubota L3010
Oct 27, 2022
Michigan
I had one on my last tractor for over 15 years and really liked it. But be forewarned: I had to buy a longer toplink to use the quick hitch. It worked flawlessly during the time I owned that machine. My new tractor has telescoping lift arms, so I haven’t seen the need for a quick hitch
Thank you. I saw some words of caution about possibly needing longer toplinks and even PTO shaft issues. Good to hear that it was worth having, even if a new toplink was needed.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Thank you. I saw some words of caution about possibly needing longer toplinks and even PTO shaft issues. Good to hear that it was worth having, even if a new toplink was needed.
I’ve not yet needed to replace my top link, however it is very close to the end thread / stop. I have currently only used paired with a ballast box and a chipper though.

Reactions: 1 user

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I’ve not yet needed to replace my top link, however it is very close to the end thread / stop. I have currently only used paired with a ballast box and a chipper though.
I never had an issue with needing a longer PTO shaft, but that could be the case if the shaft is already maxed out before adding the quick hitch.

Reactions: 1 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I never had an issue with needing a longer PTO shaft, but that could be the case if the shaft is already maxed out before adding the quick hitch.
Agreed. Only the chipper of mine is using the PTO and I cut it to length based on the pats. I think if switching from one to the other there could be a problem, and potentially the top link as well. For the OP it’s think decide what doing before cutting the PTO shaft and cut just the one time…hard to glue some back on. But the top link you might be able to check and see…there is not reason to buy a new top link before checking…the PTO though is a cut once thing IMO.

• Haha

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I've used Pat's system now for a couple of years. It made hookups much easier for me. It was the 2nd best thing I did to the 3 pt. The 1st was a Top N Tilt. The two combined almost make me look forward to swapping implements.

• Love

mendonsy

Equipment
B7500HST/LA302
May 28, 2012
Mendon, NY
I have had a Pat's QH on my B7500 for several years. I bought a longer top link from TSC when I installed it. I have not had to make any changes to the PTO shafts on my attachments.
The Pat's QH will fit almost any attachment without modifications. Other hitches severely limit the attachments you can use with them.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Check out your lift arms. Notice they have ball joints on both ends. This is to compensate for geometry changes when you raise and lower implements or change the side link to angle the implement.

Tried Pats on a BX and rear tiller. It started to damage the tiller pins because all the bolts clamping Pats to the lift arms transferred twisting forces to the implement. Don't despair they make good boat anchors when you upgrade to a quick hitch.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Check out your lift arms. Notice they have ball joints on both ends. This is to compensate for geometry changes when you raise and lower implements or change the side link to angle the implement.

Tried Pats on a BX and rear tiller. It started to damage the tiller pins because all the bolts clamping Pats to the lift arms transferred twisting forces to the implement. Don't despair they make good boat anchors when you upgrade to a quick hitch.

I never experienced that problem after using the quick hitch for over 15 years and yes I used a tiller on the tractor. But it was a larger tractor than a BX, so the lift arm geometry was different.

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
Well that's one of the downsides of a quick hitch, is you have to run all your pins the same way and some implements almost won't allow it to work without major metal mods.

Without a quick hitch you can often decide to face pins in or out on a given implement to fix clearance issues.. but then gotta mess with your stabilizers more often. :)

Also, top links are cheap, and the middle of it is just a pipe. If you need a longer one buy a longer one or weld 2-3" of pipe into the middle of the one you got.

Sammy3700

Equipment
L3800HST,524Loader,BH77,Landplane,Disk,Mowers and more
Feb 20, 2012
Red Springs, NC
I have the weld on version on both my L3800 and also installed them on friends tractors to include Ford 3000, JD3038, kubota B3200, kubota L3700su all are happy with them. We did not have to extend any shafts because I made the lift arms the same length as origina.
C081E62F-44B4-41F7-A031-783522AB7BF3.jpeg

Attachments

Tenalach Farms

Equipment
Kubota L3010
Oct 27, 2022
Michigan

Considering the downsides I've heard about quick hitches and the fact that they don't have ball joints either, I'm not that impressed by the hatchet job.

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
I have a conventional QH that I bought at the local farm store on a black Friday sale for $199. It's made in India but has good weld's and seems as good as the Land pride QH15. All my implements are QH compatible. It's not an issue to hook them up. The QH mounts to the factory balls. Plus I have a top and tilt kit. The advantage to me off the setup I have is the top link is always connected. So I don't have to deal with the top cylinder being loose and needing to have it hanging off the back.

Velma

Equipment
B2301, FDR1660, RB1560, SGC0554, Pats QH, CMP Dethatcher
May 12, 2022
MI
Pats QH is awesome.

So much easier hooking up the rear blade. Attachments with lower pins are a pain…especially heavy ones. Now those attachments can be lifted from the seat of the tractor. Or lighter ones simply placed in the hooks. Easy.

Didn’t really need it for the finish mower as it’s on wheels and has floating(clevis?) type bottom links.

As a bonus I don’t need the QH straps either like you would with a normal QH and a finish mower.

I also did NOT have to get a longer top link. It extends enough on a B2301 to work with everything I currently have (which aint much). And the finish mower has some adjustment on the lower links to offset the length from the QH.

If you do get a set. Test fit first. I had a hell of time getting the pins in (a hammer and cuss’n was involved) before taking a Dremel to the casting and smoothing some of the inside edges. After that the pins slid right thru.

and do remember to rotate the locks in place. I have forgotten on more than one occasion. Things will release and come out off the hooks. Not sure how but they will.

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
I've heard about quick hitches and the fact that they don't have ball joints either, I'm not that impressed by the hatchet job.
Well, the 3pt ball ends are still there. You can think of the qh as an implement of its own. It can still rotate on the ends of the arms if you adjust your side link, etc. You just have to leave enough space to either side of the ball ends to allow a bit of angle before the arms themselves start hitting something. That's why a lot of the balls in the ball ends on top links etc have 'spacers' sticking out the sides of the pin hole in the ball.. to keep the walls of the bracketry far enough away for the arm to be able to move around.

Not saying it's perfect, but putting a QH on a 3pt doesn't necessarily ruin ALL of its articulation.

IanB

Equipment
B2650, RC72-30B mower, LA534 FEL, B2781A-63 snowblower
Aug 31, 2021
Manitoba
I was able to avoid cutting down the PTO driveshaft on my new tiller as the Pat's quick hitch added enough length that I was able to use it at stock length! I've only used them to switch rear attachments a few times so far, but I like them a lot.