Oversize R4 Tires on LX2610SU

nh10ring

Equipment
Kubota B2320
Mar 28, 2022
New Hampshire
I am still learning about the LX2610SU, and it sounds like they come with the oversize tires. I like the idea of more height, but concerned about others commenting about limited space for tire chains. I own a 70 acre woodlot located on a hillside in New Hampshire. The ground is rocky, and the soil can be quite wet, especially during soring and fall. I want the LX2610SU for putting in trails and food plots, as well as using a box blade to grade our driveway. I will have a backhoe on 95% of the time. Winters can be severe, and I will need chains on when moving snow with the bucket. I plan on getting R4 tires. The oversize tires sound beneficial in wet soil, but will they make the tractor more tippy on my hillside? And will the limited space between the tire and fender be a problem for putting on tire chains? And lastly, are the oversize tires problematic for using a 54" box blade? Would love to hear your thoughts, particularly those with experience of the oversize tires on the LX2610/LX2610SU.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
First thing to consider is getting some spacers - two reasons, more stable on those side slopes and more importantly it will allow some chain room away from the fender.

AS for as tippy - and height that is gained will offset the center of gravity - but I would imagine that one or two inches should not make a big difference - but getting spacers will offset the higher CG.

From the spacer stand point it will help the CG big time - wide is always better ............ to a point!!!

Reactions: 1 user

nh10ring

Equipment
Kubota B2320
Mar 28, 2022
New Hampshire
Has anyone run the smaller R4 tires on their SU? That would fix the tire chain issue. My dealer says they are an option, but I read somewhere that the smaller tires don't come standard on the SU because the oversize tires actually help with something to do with the backhoe. What disadvantage would I have with the smaller tires?

nh10ring

Equipment
Kubota B2320
Mar 28, 2022
New Hampshire
First thing to consider is getting some spacers - two reasons, more stable on those side slopes and more importantly it will allow some chain room away from the fender.

AS for as tippy - and height that is gained will offset the center of gravity - but I would imagine that one or two inches should not make a big difference - but getting spacers will offset the higher CG.

From the spacer stand point it will help the CG big time - wide is always better ............ to a point!!!
Thank you for the advice. Might there be any suggestions on what size spacers to use on the LX2610SU? Since there is no cab or MMM, I am strictly focused on stability on hills, and the ability to use tire chains. I want the rear tires wide enough to provide stability, but not so wide that I can't get through the woods or use my 54" box blade (I know, the box blade is smaller than recommended for the LX, but it is what I have). I also need to safely load and unload onto trailer ramps.

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
I have the larger 15-19.5 R4 tires on my LX 2610HSD. I am in Mid-Michigan and have the tires loaded with RimGuard (Beet juice). The bigger tires hold about 300 pounds more Beet juice than the standard ones.
It is right at 60" wide I do not have spacers as my land is mostly flat. The tractor with a 60" bucket on the loader a quick hitch and big box (Tarter 206) back blade weights 3,555 on my scales from the race car.
I seldom get more than 6-8" of snow anymore and plow my 300' paved drive in 2WD until we have more than about 4" of snow then I need to use 4WD.
I don't have a backhoe because the 2 times in the last 10 years I have either rented a trencher or just hired it done.
It really depends on how much you need to use it. I have a Woodland Mills stump grinder for the stumps. It takes much less room store and is about 1/3 the price. Just a thought to pass on. If your planning on a lot of digging then the backhoe might be the hot ticket for you. But if your using it for trees and stumps a grapple & stump grinder are better in my opinion.
The attached photo is mine with the stump grinder hooked up.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Thank you for the advice. Might there be any suggestions on what size spacers to use on the LX2610SU? Since there is no cab or MMM, I am strictly focused on stability on hills, and the ability to use tire chains. I want the rear tires wide enough to provide stability, but not so wide that I can't get through the woods or use my 54" box blade (I know, the box blade is smaller than recommended for the LX, but it is what I have). I also need to safely load and unload onto trailer ramps.
If the LX stance is too wide when you get done (setting up the machine with spacers) to go through the woods, then the trees need to be thinned out. 🥃

nh10ring

Equipment
Kubota B2320
Mar 28, 2022
New Hampshire
I have the larger 15-19.5 R4 tires on my LX 2610HSD. I am in Mid-Michigan and have the tires loaded with RimGuard (Beet juice). The bigger tires hold about 300 pounds more Beet juice than the standard ones.
It is right at 60" wide I do not have spacers as my land is mostly flat. The tractor with a 60" bucket on the loader a quick hitch and big box (Tarter 206) back blade weights 3,555 on my scales from the race car.
I seldom get more than 6-8" of snow anymore and plow my 300' paved drive in 2WD until we have more than about 4" of snow then I need to use 4WD.
I don't have a backhoe because the 2 times in the last 10 years I have either rented a trencher or just hired it done.
It really depends on how much you need to use it. I have a Woodland Mills stump grinder for the stumps. It takes much less room store and is about 1/3 the price. Just a thought to pass on. If your planning on a lot of digging then the backhoe might be the hot ticket for you. But if your using it for trees and stumps a grapple & stump grinder are better in my opinion.
The attached photo is mine with the stump grinder hooked up.
I do plan to have the BH77 backhoe on 90% of the time. It seems that too long of spacers in conjunction with weight of the backhoe might allow added pressure to the real axle. Yes? No? Maybe????

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
I do plan to have the BH77 backhoe on 90% of the time. It seems that too long of spacers in conjunction with weight of the backhoe might allow added pressure to the real axle. Yes? No? Maybe????
I would probably limit the spacers to 1.5 -2" max. Yes it gives extra leverage against the bearings but probably not past the design load. I however would make sure the spacers are better than the chineseium pot metal kind....

nh10ring

Equipment
Kubota B2320
Mar 28, 2022
New Hampshire
I would probably limit the spacers to 1.5 -2" max. Yes it gives extra leverage against the bearings but probably not past the design load. I however would make sure the spacers are better than the chineseium pot metal kind....
Thank you for the feedback. I am swaying towards the 2" Bro-Tek. I see a lot of advice on forums that in order to clear the fenders of the LX when running tire chains on the larger 15-19.5 tires, spacers are a needed. But there is never a mention on what size spacer is needed. I hate to invest nearly $400 on spacers if they still don't allow me to put chains on. This is way more complicated than it should be.