Overloaded My Trailer

300zx

Equipment
1979 B7100D, 2009 ZG20, 1991 B2150, 1990 B6200
Dec 1, 2010
Forest, VA
Old enough to know better, but not wise enough not too! I took my 25 year old two wheel trailer to the local Amish garden center to pick up some top soil and compost. I ended up with one yard of soil and one yard of compost. I had aired the tires to 50 psi for the load. I got about 3 miles down the road, and bam went the passenger side trailer tire. I called my son who brought my 86 Suburban, a jack and tools. I knew I was overloaded, but I didn't know by how much. We unloaded about 1/3 onto a tarp in the back of my 86 Suburban, put the spare tire on and headed for a safer place to work and assess how to handle the load for the rest of the trip. We ended up buying some bigger tires at Walmart, mounted them on the trailer in the rain (had to remove the fenders) and headed back to his house. BTW, we noticed on the way into Walmart, that we had not blown the tire, the valve stem had blown out and that was what ruined the tire. When we got it back, safe in his garage, we went to the computer to see how much we had overloaded the trailer. Should have done this first!! We basically had put 3200 lbs in a 1000 lb bag! A yard of dirt weighs about 2400 lbs and the yard of compost was about 800 lbs. Originally being a farm boy, it is embarrassing, but after 50 years of over loading trailer, I did get my lesson. I am lucky it was an inexpensive one!!! Also, old valve stems don't last forever!!!

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
Been there and done that! Don't even want to talk about it. My face was about IH red. Like you, I knew better.