Non working 3 pt hitch

heyawight

May 8, 2011
Fairfield, Pa.
Hello I recently bought a 1976 L175. It has a 50" finish mower on the rear. The other day I hooked up the mower and everything worked fine . Lift went up and down no problem. I then went and mowed for about 1/2 hr and Then the lift would not go up to pick up the mower. I unhooked the mower and drove back to the garage stopped the tractor and started looking. Dont know whole bunch about it so didnt find anything obvious. The pervious owner said he never had any problems with the lift. The tractor set for over a year without being used before I got it. After the tractor set for a while when I started it the lift worked but when I went to get the mower it was not working so it seems to be something that happens when the tractor has been run for a little and gets warm, when first started works fine. Can anyone tell me what the problem could be? Maybe the fluid needs changed, how and where do you check the fluid?

Thanks

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Hello I recently bought a 1976 L175. It has a 50" finish mower on the rear. The other day I hooked up the mower and everything worked fine . Lift went up and down no problem. I then went and mowed for about 1/2 hr and Then the lift would not go up to pick up the mower. I unhooked the mower and drove back to the garage stopped the tractor and started looking. Dont know whole bunch about it so didnt find anything obvious. The pervious owner said he never had any problems with the lift. The tractor set for over a year without being used before I got it. After the tractor set for a while when I started it the lift worked but when I went to get the mower it was not working so it seems to be something that happens when the tractor has been run for a little and gets warm, when first started works fine. Can anyone tell me what the problem could be? Maybe the fluid needs changed, how and where do you check the fluid?

Thanks
Has it been sitting outside?:confused: If so I would change the fluid because you can be almost guaranteed that there is water in the system.

heyawight

May 8, 2011
Fairfield, Pa.
No it was sitting inside. Is this all controled by the trans fluid? If so where do I drain it and how much does it take to fill it? Is there a dipstick for the trans?

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
No it was sitting inside. Is this all controled by the trans fluid? If so where do I drain it and how much does it take to fill it? Is there a dipstick for the trans?
I am not familiar with the l175 layout but they are mostly all the same. There should be a drain on either side of the diff housing at the bottom and one on the mid pto. You can usually tell the drain plug from a mounting bolt by the looks of them. There may be one farther ahead behind the clutch too. There is likely around 15-20 liters of oil. Be sure to change the filter and check the suction screen.
You can find various service manuals online. It does not have to be for your specific model to give you an idea what and where things are.:)

Also too confirm water is the oil foamy and milky.?

gurn

Equipment
Kubota L175
Apr 15, 2011
Nashville,Tn
No filter on this one just the screen. You will need almost 6 gallons of trans. fluid. I bought a 5 gall. pail of universal tractor trans fluid from Sams club for @35$. If yours is like my L175 the screen will be nasty and all gunked up so you might want to pick up a new one of those also. the screen is located in the back left side under the break drum area. It looks like bulging plate held in place with two 10 mm. bolts. Pop that off and pull straight out with a pair of pliers don't twist it! If its real cruddy it could break and then you would be really messed up. btw the screen is 6-8 inches long.

heyawight

May 8, 2011
Fairfield, Pa.
No filter on this one just the screen. You will need almost 6 gallons of trans. fluid. I bought a 5 gall. pail of universal tractor trans fluid from Sams club for @35$. If yours is like my L175 the screen will be nasty and all gunked up so you might want to pick up a new one of those also. the screen is located in the back left side under the break drum area. It looks like bulging plate held in place with two 10 mm. bolts. Pop that off and pull straight out with a pair of pliers don't twist it! If its real cruddy it could break and then you would be really messed up. btw the screen is 6-8 inches long.
So it sounds like the trans fluid does it all. I will check this out and see how it goes. I will see if there is water in the oil as well. You all have been great help. Is there something else to look for that would cause the lift to not work?

Thanks