New wiring harness

LeadHead

Equipment
Kubota L275, Allis Chalmers WD45, King Kutter II 3-point tiller, dirt scoop, brush hog, back blade
Sep 29, 2009
Illinois
The wiring harness on my L275 has deteriorated over the years, much of the deterioration most likely due to the fact the previous owner left it sit in a field for a year when it threw a rod. The plastic connectors are brittle and breaking and at this point I now have to start the tractor using a screwdriver on the starter terminal. Sometimes all electrical functions (warning lights and glow plugs) work, other times none of them work.
Does anyone know of a source for replacement harnesses at a decent price or possibly someone who makes them out of their basement?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I got a complete wiring harness for my L185 from Messicks.

LeadHead

Equipment
Kubota L275, Allis Chalmers WD45, King Kutter II 3-point tiller, dirt scoop, brush hog, back blade
Sep 29, 2009
Illinois
Yeah, I considered making my own, but would prefer to keep the original coler-coded wiring scheme to simplify troubleshooting in the future. Any suggestions as to what electrical connectors to use for such a project?

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
If the wiring insulation is still good, then you would just need to replace connectors. NAPA usually is a good place to start. I also see (but have not tried) JIMCOTEST which shows Japanese style connectors.

If you decide to totally rewire then either duplicate what is in place, or pull the harness out and duplicate it on a plywood sheet. Good idea to put registration markers on the chassis and matching old and new harness points.

New wire should be stranded and marked for use in oil and fuel environments.

Reactions: 1 user

wokndadog

Equipment
Kubota L185, L2500+LB400 loader & X350 chipper, AC 912H, JD 112 RF and X740
May 28, 2015
Central PA
I feel your pain Leadhead, just bought a L185 and while doing the first OFL service I happened to notice the plug into the alternator appeared to be deteriorated (crumbling). Upon closer inspection it became obvious that some wires were cooked, I don't believe there was an elect short, but rather the wires are near enough the exhaust that repeated heat cycles may have done them in.

Our local Kubota dealer quoted me $200 for the new harness for this unit, which I estimate would probably take an hour or less to change out. Since there were only a few easy to reach wires which are damaged, I plan to replace those tomorrow. Like Jim L suggested, I will probably just use some generic automotive connectors. As for the alternator plug, I was unable to locate a replacement through a half dozen local auto stores (two of which I favor, because their guys are old school parts gurus).

Stopping short of giving you a full rundown on the entire story from A-Z, I just wanted to let you know that I found a shop called Chestnut Hill near Ephrata PA (you can google them for phone or pm me) that was able to identify the correct alternator connector plug for me. It arrived today by mail, roughly $11 including S&H, but is the right plug, one which no one else not even the Kubota dealer could provide. Just an FYI in case you have to replace a unique connector like the one on the alternator.

Regards,
Gary

Last edited: