New (to me) B7100HST 4wd - All sorts of questions.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The wheel centers are actually removable - I would have to hammer out the lug bolts it looks like to switch them around though (otherwise the lug nuts would be on the inside!). If it is all the same and just reversing the rims is fine I may just do it that way.
View attachment 128034
Oh, that's cool. Thanks for sharing that image which makes it a lot clearer. I'd try the new stance for a while and see if it works for you. There's no issue with flipping the rims to get a wider stance. It will increase the moment arm on the axle tube, but any additional load is within an acceptable range. What is the change in wheel spacing after swapping the wheels around?

It would be good to have a WSM, owner's manual or equivalent for this tractor. They cover adjusting front and rear wheel spacing.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
N
The wheel centers are actually removable - I would have to hammer out the lug bolts it looks like to switch them around though (otherwise the lug nuts would be on the inside!). If it is all the same and just reversing the rims is fine I may just do it that way.
View attachment 128034
Swapping the rims direction is right, swapping the hub direction is not, leave them in the orientation that they are.

Safety pin in the hole and tighten the bolt well.
If you end up keeping it for a length of time, there is a newer designed hub that is better.

Mumma

Equipment
B7100 HST 4wd
Apr 25, 2024
Knoxville TN
N

Swapping the rims direction is right, swapping the hub direction is not, leave them in the orientation that they are.

Safety pin in the hole and tighten the bolt well.
If you end up keeping it for a length of time, there is a newer designed hub that is better.

COOL! I saw a couple different new hub assemblies in other posts as well. I'm gonna save that link in case I decide to upgrade.
The stock hubs ARE a little wonky.

I did end up reversing the wheels - but not the hub - so I'm glad that was the correct way to do it.

I ended up with PLENTY of extra width between the tires.
@
mcmxi
About the wheel width gain from reversing: I forgot to measure the before and after - but I'd guess it added a solid 6 inches +

Back to my pond scoop struggles... I THOUGHT all the extra width would make it work. The scoop pins are about 36" wide at their widest. I got my lower arms to expand that far BUT.... take a look at the pictures of the new issue....
IMG_20240510_170631409.jpg

IMG_20240510_171601662.jpg

IMG_20240510_171606445.jpg

The connection for the check chains hits the bucket of the scoop!

Maybe this thing really is just too big for my lil 7100 haha.

I'm probably going to look for a smaller one - or MAYBE the offset lower lift arms would help in this scenario?

ON A SEPARATE NOTE:
The 4wd.....
I use it quite a bit because most of my land is rough and hilly. I've found myself in situations where even in 4wd it one or more of the wheels will spin independent of the others....
Is this supposed to happen?
The 4wd DOES seem to work - I've gotten myself unstuck and over obstacles by getting the front wheels to engage. But I'm sort of surprised that the wheels can still lose traction and spin / stick independently of one another even in 4wd.
Just hoping it is working as it should and isnt broken-ish.

ALSO is there any point in using the rear diff lock WHILE in 4wd? or is that redundant?

AND maybe lastly for now. This is the shop manual I have. It leaves quite a bit to be desired! Is there a better version? (I've also seen a couple different ones in PDF form).

IMG_20240510_163412374.jpg

Appreciate all the input so much and hope I can contribute more regularly!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes the 4wd is more 3wd because it has an open front differential.
Yes you MUST use the diff lock or you have a 2wd (one front wheel, one rear wheel).
The 4wd just engages the front propeller shaft nothing more.
DO NOT engage the rear diff lock while the wheels are spinning at anything more than a crawl, or you will soon see what the diff parts look like when they are lying on the ground under the bottom of the tractor.

If your not operating the tractor on solid hard surfaces like pavement or concrete, you can leave it in 4wd all the time without any ill effects.

Reactions: 1 user

Mumma

Equipment
B7100 HST 4wd
Apr 25, 2024
Knoxville TN
Yes the 4wd is more 3wd because it has an open front differential.
Yes you MUST use the diff lock or you have a 2wd (one front wheel, one rear wheel).
The 4wd just engages the front propeller shaft nothing more.
DO NOT engage the rear diff lock while the wheels are spinning at anything more than a crawl, or you will soon see what the diff parts look like when they are lying on the ground under the bottom of the tractor.

If your not operating the tractor on solid hard surfaces like pavement or concrete, you can leave it in 4wd all the time without any ill effects.
OH my! Very good to know about the diff lock and everything else.
SO many ways to ruin my tractor! haha.

Shadetree605

Equipment
kubota b2100
May 1, 2022
north little rock, ar
COOL! I saw a couple different new hub assemblies in other posts as well. I'm gonna save that link in case I decide to upgrade.
The stock hubs ARE a little wonky.

I did end up reversing the wheels - but not the hub - so I'm glad that was the correct way to do it.

I ended up with PLENTY of extra width between the tires.
@
mcmxi
About the wheel width gain from reversing: I forgot to measure the before and after - but I'd guess it added a solid 6 inches +

Back to my pond scoop struggles... I THOUGHT all the extra width would make it work. The scoop pins are about 36" wide at their widest. I got my lower arms to expand that far BUT.... take a look at the pictures of the new issue....
View attachment 128047
View attachment 128048
View attachment 128049

The connection for the check chains hits the bucket of the scoop!

Maybe this thing really is just too big for my lil 7100 haha.

I'm probably going to look for a smaller one - or MAYBE the offset lower lift arms would help in this scenario?

ON A SEPARATE NOTE:
The 4wd.....
I use it quite a bit because most of my land is rough and hilly. I've found myself in situations where even in 4wd it one or more of the wheels will spin independent of the others....
Is this supposed to happen?
The 4wd DOES seem to work - I've gotten myself unstuck and over obstacles by getting the front wheels to engage. But I'm sort of surprised that the wheels can still lose traction and spin / stick independently of one another even in 4wd.
Just hoping it is working as it should and isnt broken-ish.

ALSO is there any point in using the rear diff lock WHILE in 4wd? or is that redundant?

AND maybe lastly for now. This is the shop manual I have. It leaves quite a bit to be desired! Is there a better version? (I've also seen a couple different ones in PDF form).

View attachment 128050

Appreciate all the input so much and hope I can contribute more regularly!
looking at your pic of the scoop, on the lift arms, can you move the linkage from the lift arms to the outside to gain further angle ?, i am no tractor wizzard here, just asking if you can reverse the lift pins, move the linkage on the lift arms at the top, and have them attach to the outer side at the top part of the lift arms ?. seems like it would give you more of an angle to get the scoop pins attached..i'm not sure if this is a plan or not ?..just guessing here..lol.

Mumma

Equipment
B7100 HST 4wd
Apr 25, 2024
Knoxville TN
looking at your pic of the scoop, on the lift arms, can you move the linkage from the lift arms to the outside to gain further angle ?, i am no tractor wizzard here, just asking if you can reverse the lift pins, move the linkage on the lift arms at the top, and have them attach to the outer side at the top part of the lift arms ?. seems like it would give you more of an angle to get the scoop pins attached..i'm not sure if this is a plan or not ?..just guessing here..lol.
That's a darn good idea! I actually just went ahead and picked up a smaller used scoop a few days ago. Haven't even had the chance to take it off the trailer and try it out yet - but it looks like it should work much better.
Hopefully some updates over the weekend! Might be moving some driveway gravel with it heheh.

Reactions: 1 user

Shadetree605

Equipment
kubota b2100
May 1, 2022
north little rock, ar
That's a darn good idea! I actually just went ahead and picked up a smaller used scoop a few days ago. Haven't even had the chance to take it off the trailer and try it out yet - but it looks like it should work much better.
Hopefully some updates over the weekend! Might be moving some driveway gravel with it heheh.
hope either one works for ya !. it was just a thought that crossed my mind when i looked at the way the top of the links were attached to the lift arms, seems like you could reverse the pins on the lift arms, then move the links to the outside, then this maybe would give you move of an angle so attach them to the scoop pins ? . let us know if this works better ?!. have a great weekend !.