NEW to a B6000

Weapon 808

Equipment
B6000
May 16, 2013
Manitoba Canada
Hey guys I recently bought a '77 B6000 and it runs and works fine but the lady I bought it from had no clue how to start it or use it, so what I'm wondering is when starting this tractor what is the sequence of operations? I turn the key on then wait some time for glow plugs? do I pull decompression lever on top of the valve cover? and then after this turn this black starting switch ? I don't know some clarification would be appreciated.

freewheel3

Equipment
MX5000DT LA852, BX1800D, B6000DT, B6200HSTD, B7100HSTD, L185, T1700HX, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2013
Alberta
Hey guys I recently bought a '77 B6000 and it runs and works fine but the lady I bought it from had no clue how to start it or use it, so what I'm wondering is when starting this tractor what is the sequence of operations? I turn the key on then wait some time for glow plugs? do I pull decompression lever on top of the valve cover? and then after this turn this black starting switch ? I don't know some clarification would be appreciated.
The decompression lever is usually only needed at lower temps although some guys use them year round because it is a bit easier on the starter.
1. Put trans in neutral
2. Set throttle at about half.
3. Turn the key on.
4.Turn the black starter knob to the left to energize the glow plugs for 30-60 seconds or longer if its winter time (you'll see the coil get red hot for awhile).
5. Push in the clutch.
6.Turn the black knob to the right to engage the starter until it starts. Adjust throttle as required.
7. (Optional) After it starts, you can turn the black knob to the left to run the glow plugs a bit to help the idle smooth out.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
The decompression lever is usually only needed at lower temps although some guys use them year round because it is a bit easier on the starter.
1. Put trans in neutral
2. Set throttle at about half.
3. Turn the key on.
4.Turn the black starter knob to the left to energize the glow plugs for 30-60 seconds or longer if its winter time (you'll see the coil get red hot for awhile).
5. Push in the clutch.
6.Turn the black knob to the right to engage the starter until it starts. Adjust throttle as required.
7. (Optional) After it starts, you can turn the black knob to the left to run the glow plugs a bit to help the idle smooth out.

Your tractor is alot different then most. I have a key switch. I turn the key to the left for 30-40 seconds to preheat the glow plugs then to the right to start. I never set it at half throttle when attempting to crank, that floods the engine for me.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Your tractor is alot different then most. I have a key switch. I turn the key to the left for 30-40 seconds to preheat the glow plugs then to the right to start. I never set it at half throttle when attempting to crank, that floods the engine for me.
Same for me. I set the throttle when I shut the tractor down-pull it all the way back to stop, then push back forward to where I had it when idling. So, 1/4 throttle or a little less for mine, starts too rich, plus I don't want the RPM's up that high until oil pressure has built up.
I use the decompression valve in the winter- I let it spin over for a couple of seconds with the decompression valve pulled, to get some oil circulating before ignition.

Weapon 808

Equipment
B6000
May 16, 2013
Manitoba Canada
Oh ok I was doing the wrong thing, I thought the key was turning on the glow plugs but when it was actually the black knob turning to the left doing it. But the crazy thing is mine started within 5 seconds of first trying to start it without glow plugs warmed up all these times that I used it this week. Also I was shutting off the key after it was running so no fuel pump either. Thanks guys for steering me in the right direction, great site though, I got a couple maintenance tips on here already.

freewheel3

Equipment
MX5000DT LA852, BX1800D, B6000DT, B6200HSTD, B7100HSTD, L185, T1700HX, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2013
Alberta
Same for me. I set the throttle when I shut the tractor down-pull it all the way back to stop, then push back forward to where I had it when idling. So, 1/4 throttle or a little less for mine, starts too rich, plus I don't want the RPM's up that high until oil pressure has built up.
I use the decompression valve in the winter- I let it spin over for a couple of seconds with the decompression valve pulled, to get some oil circulating before ignition.
All B6000's have the glow plugs powered through the black starter knob, the key only powers the fuel pump, the oil pressure light and closes the circuit between the battery and the starter knob.
My B6200 and my dads B7100 will both start with the throttle at the idle position but my B6000 starts better / quicker with some extra throttle.
The twin cyl is slower to rev up upon starting than the triples so there is lots of time to throttle it back when it does fire up. It kinda reminds me of an old one lunger when it starts to fire. Pop......Pop.....Pop....Pop...Pop..Pop. Pop then purr.:)