Never underestimate Your Bota

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Got fed up with some stumps I had to mow around. So, I figured I would give it a shot with the kubota before I rented a mini ex :D

Now mind you, the stumps weren't very large. Largest is maybe a foot in diameter. But has been rotting for five or six years.

So I hooked up the box blade and dropped the rippers all the way down.

First one, I must have found the sweet spot. It popped out on the first pass.

Second one took about 4 passes around breaking the roots. Then was able to pop that one out. First and second were around 6 inches in diameter.

Third one took a half hour working around it. This one was about a foot in diameter.

Last root ball weighed between 200 and 300 lbs. had to hook a chain to it and drag it out of the way. :D

Only got about 30 more of those buggers to get rid of :rolleyes:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr Honda

Equipment
BX1870
Mar 30, 2015
Pitt, PA
I never do....

I keep my boat tucked behind my porch... and it's too hard to get my truck back there. Even the lowly bx18 has enough grunt to move this 5000 Lb boat around. (even pulled it up and out of the gravel)

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
DT, you've hit on something I've been telling customers, for years. If the stump is dead, preferably for several years, they come out much easier. I just rolled a 10' shrub stump out of its hole for a customer, using the corner of my Dixie Chopper's deck... If the root hairs of the stump are dead, it loses a large percentage of its ground holding capacity...:D:D

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
DT, you've hit on something I've been telling customers, for years. If the stump is dead, preferably for several years, they come out much easier. I just rolled a 10' shrub stump out of its hole for a customer, using the corner of my Dixie Chopper's deck... If the root hairs of the stump are dead, it loses a large percentage of its ground holding capacity...:D:D
True :D But I got at least 25 of them babies that are gonna need at least another 5 years before they pop loose with the bota :rolleyes: Probably gonna bring home the mini ex from shop in a few weeks and see about speeding them up :D:D

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Daren - you proved two things:

The ability/power of your Kubota, and you also built one helluva box blade!!:cool:

Super job on both counts!!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Daren - you proved two things:

The ability/power of your Kubota, and you also built one helluva box blade!!:cool:

Super job on both counts!!
You jinxed me :p:p gotta weld the back piece of metal used for back dragging :eek: noticed it moving when I was finishing get up this afternoon out back :rolleyes: course, that was welded on with the harbor freight 110 welder. I'll hit it with Bertha sometime this week :cool:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
You jinxed me :p:p
Funny - I thought about that when I posted it..my apologies....you'll get it better than new, I'm sure!!:cool:

I'm getting closer to 220v in my garage as well! All I need is time to finish.....:eek:

Attachments

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Funny - I thought about that when I posted it..my apologies....you'll get it better than new, I'm sure!!:cool:

I'm getting closer to 220v in my garage as well! All I need is time to finish.....:eek:
Time!! :confused: What's that :p:p I got probably about 6 more weekends worth of stuff out back to do with the bota :rolleyes: That's not counting mowing :rolleyes:

You'll notice a big difference with your welder once you get the 220 hooked up :D

blktipton

Dec 22, 2015
US

I have been using an l2501 to remove a hill. The new drive to the left in the pic has all been done with the bota. The hill used to go the existing part in the middle of the picture. The cut out is approximately 8' at the highest point.

An excavator gave me a ridiculous estimate to do it and said I was crazy when I said I would do it with the tractor.

Well, crazy or not, I took my time and the little tractor keeps taking bucket fulls out. I had to use a stump bucket for heavily rooted areas, but thats it other than stock l2501 equipment.

They really will surprise you whenever you fire them up!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

blktipton

Dec 22, 2015
US
BTW anyone who is not aware, this is what a stump bucket looks like.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Howling

Equipment
BX2370
Feb 5, 2016
Ayer, MA
I have working on leveling and smoothing out the yard. Keep running into rocks that stick up a little too much.
rock 5.jpg
Dig enough to get chain around them and my BX will pull them out of the ground.
rock 4.jpg

The biggest (so far) I have been able to dig out and move using just the tractor bucket.
Rock 3.jpg

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
Here's a stump I pulled. I managed to get my bucket to lift it but ended up pushing it after going down the slight hill in the picture the rear end lifted off the ground, good thing I had my hand on the control to slam the bucket down.

Attachments

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
I just clicked over 250 hours. My machine had 126 on it when I bought it.

In 124 hours, I spread 100 tons of granite on my driveway, hauled 11 tons of demo'd tile to the dumpster, plus a few dozen tons of other remodel spoil ( three 40-yard dumpsters worth), hauled 25 tons of rock out of my back yard for use elsewhere on my property, prepped a 1300 sq ft area for a new driveway pad, hauled over 100 boulders out of my back yard, replaced about 30 of those into different positions, graded the whole back yard, used the bucket to lift and place steel beams for a 20 x 20 shade structure, and recently hauled in 40 tons of topsoil to the back yard with a little left over for the front yard. Oh, and I forgot the near 40 tons of flagstone I will have hauled in and spoil hauled out (about 15%).

Try that with a wheelbarrow and a shovel....

Ray

nzzshl

Equipment
1982 Yanmar GT14(YM146), 2015 BX25, BX5450 snowblower
Jan 12, 2015
Fenton, Mi
Dave, I slept at a Holiday Inn last night.

I just clicked over 250 hours. My machine had 126 on it when I bought it.

In 124 hours, I spread 100 tons of granite on my driveway, hauled 11 tons of demo'd tile to the dumpster, plus a few dozen tons of other remodel spoil ( three 40-yard dumpsters worth), hauled 25 tons of rock out of my back yard for use elsewhere on my property, prepped a 1300 sq ft area for a new driveway pad, hauled over 100 boulders out of my back yard, replaced about 30 of those into different positions, graded the whole back yard, used the bucket to lift and place steel beams for a 20 x 20 shade structure, and recently hauled in 40 tons of topsoil to the back yard with a little left over for the front yard. Oh, and I forgot the near 40 tons of flagstone I will have hauled in and spoil hauled out (about 15%).

Try that with a wheelbarrow and a shovel....

Ray

bryanduke

May 4, 2016
US
Before I upgraded to a larger Kubota, I used my L3901 to remove this stump with a stump bucket. It was much to heavy to lift. I ended up having to push it down a hill into a huge washout we were trying to fill. Each of the four tree trunks growing out of this one stump were 16-24".

Supermenz

Equipment
Kubota BX2670
May 3, 2016
El Reno
Had a good time moving this across the yard. A few well placed utility poles and the bx drug it right along

Attachments