RESOLVED - Need help with grapple problem

kdparker

Equipment
Kubota B2601 and RTV520
Nov 23, 2020
East Tennessee
This will be a long post but I believe if you are asking for help you need to give all the details/information available.

Background:
  • Land Pride Grapple SGC0660 will not open
  • Have owned for 3 years with no issues (familiar with quick connectors and how to depressurize before disconnecting)
  • Installed and used on Kubota L4060 for two months with no issues
  • Dealer installed 3rd function kit Kubota part #L2265
  • The grapple was in the full closed position when I pressed the open switch on the joystick. I could clearly hear the solenoid actuate and I could see the hoses deflect all the way to the grapple but no open movement. I pressed the close switch and could clearly hear the solenoid actuate and I could see the hoses deflect all the way to the grapple.
  • I repeated the above a few times in the field with no movement of the grapple.
  • I took the tractor back to the barn to do some additional trouble shooting. With the tractor not running, I actuated the switches to depressurize the lines. I then disconnected the first quick connector with no issues but the second connector was difficult. I got the connector disconnected and pressed the poppet in on the tractor side and there was a good bit of pressure relieved.
  • After I manually relived both sides of the two lines, I reconnected both lines, cranked the tractor and pressed the open switch. The grapple opened about one or two inches and stopped. I could not get it to open and future.
  • I turned off tractor and redid all the steps above to relive the pressure. I found the exact same condition. One line from the tractor had pressure when I pressed the poppet. The LP owner’s manual labels this line as the “pressure line” the other line is labeled the return line.
  • I reconnected both lines, cranked the tractor and pressed the open switch. The grapple did not open any more.

Summary: It appears to me both solenoids are working and pressure is going to the grapple.

I am going to post this on both OTT and TBN.

I am not sure what steps to take from here. Any insights and suggestions would be appreciated.

Keith

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
There are numerous folks here who know WAY more than I do about hydraulic systems. But, I have had a similar issue with my grapple. I spent a good bit of time totally focused on the grapple end of the connections. It would close but not open. Hoses appeared to be flexing. I had never removed the quick connects on the loader valve end of the hoses for the third function so of course they couldn’t be the problem. Then, for what reason I don’t recall, I glanced at the quick connect on the loader valve end of the third function lines. One of them wasn’t fully seated. Put it back on correctly and that fixed it. No clue how it got knocked loose.

So: If you haven’t checked the connections on the loader valve end of the lines, I would. If they’re quick connects, I’d pop them off and back on. If it’s more complicated than that you need help from some one smarter than me.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sounds like you have a bad Quick disconnect.
I take it on the hose end one is male one is female right?
You will need to either get a spare set of Quick disconnects or you will need to swap the hoses to see if it will open and not close. easiest if you can do it at the cylinder.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
Sounds like you have a bad Quick disconnect.
I take it on the hose end one is male one is female right?
You will need to either get a spare set of Quick disconnects or you will need to swap the hoses to see if it will open and not close. easiest if you can do it at the cylinder.
probably right.

I would also rule out a binding lid / lid cyl's. by removing hoses from the lid cyl's and manually making sure lid / lid cyl's. cycle freely as they should.

cheers

Reactions: 1 user

ChiefWebb

Equipment
MX5100, ZD331, Z242KW-48 & RTV900, Woods Stump Grinder, Armstrong Ag Grappler
Feb 24, 2023
South Texas
Question: Could it be that the piston seal or o-ring inside of one of the grapple cylinders has ruptured and fluid is just flowing past the offending o-ring or seal? I had a similar problem once and tore down the cylinders and found that one one of the cylinders that the large nut securing the piston on the ram had not been torqued from the factory and it had backed off enough to rupture a o-ring causing a very similar problem.

kdparker

Equipment
Kubota B2601 and RTV520
Nov 23, 2020
East Tennessee
There are numerous folks here who know WAY more than I do about hydraulic systems. But, I have had a similar issue with my grapple. I spent a good bit of time totally focused on the grapple end of the connections. It would close but not open. Hoses appeared to be flexing. I had never removed the quick connects on the loader valve end of the hoses for the third function so of course they couldn’t be the problem. Then, for what reason I don’t recall, I glanced at the quick connect on the loader valve end of the third function lines. One of them wasn’t fully seated. Put it back on correctly and that fixed it. No clue how it got knocked loose.

So: If you haven’t checked the connections on the loader valve end of the lines, I would. If they’re quick connects, I’d pop them off and back on. If it’s more complicated than that you need help from some one smarter than me.
Thanks for all the insights and suggestions.
NCL4701 on OTT nailed my issue with the comment below.
“I had never removed the quick connects on the loader valve end of the hoses for the third function so of course they couldn’t be the problem. Then, for what reason I don’t recall, I glanced at the quick connect on the loader valve end of the third function lines. One of them wasn’t fully seated. Put it back on correctly and that fixed it. No clue how it got knocked loose.”

This was my problem, It is now corrected and grapple working.

Thanks again,
Keith

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
The couplers on my BX22 would routinely come loose and I never could figure out why. I was going to change them to flat-face couplers but decided that buying a new tractor was the less expensive option. I sold the tractor and made the coupler issue someone else's, not mine.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
The couplers on my BX22 would routinely come loose and I never could figure out why. I was going to change them to flat-face couplers but decided that buying a new tractor was the less expensive option. I sold the tractor and made the coupler issue someone else's, not mine.
Excellent choice! ;)