My sweet deal on a Chipper/Shredder

average_gardener

Equipment
Kubota L1501,Tiller 48,Finish Mower 48,Disc 48,Blade 48, Bush Hog 48, etc
Apr 17, 2011
Keithville, la, usa
I got it from one of the two big boys. It's a Troy Bilt chipper/shredder with a 2" capacity chipper. Bigger would have been better, but, I talked them down $250.00, because it was a display model. It has a few minor scratches, but, the engine has never seen any oil or gas. It is a B&S 850 series. I think about 6 to 6.5 hp. It works like a champ. I found a neighbor who was giving away about 10 truck loads of composted oak leaves. I have run some through the shredder and Wow, it is good stuff. I might be bragging a little. But, don't think you can't haggle with HD and Lws. I am sure many others have had a lot of luck doing this.

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
Choosing a chipper is not so easy. I think about this since one year. In the end it should also have it's own engine and should be small enough to pass through a door, so some friends can use it in their backyard even if a small kubota does not fit to the doors. The input diameater should also be big, not for big wood but for the pieces with many forks and wild growing, otherwise you have to cut it before it would be able to fit into the chipper.
I hope your Troy will work fine for your needs.

carl

asbug

Equipment
B7001 - looks orange to me... Woods 5' scrape, 42" rotary cutter, shreader/chip.
Feb 11, 2011
Varnell,GA - USA
Just put 2 hours on my Bearcat 5" chipper.
Almost too much machine for the B7001.
Almost.
Any way it'll eat any thing I put in it, it doesn't like old dried out dogwood, or green hickory.
I love mine as well.
KC

cmorningstar01

Equipment
B7500HST LA302 FEL 5'Finish Mower B5100E 46" Snow Plow 22 ton splitter
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
Choosing a chipper is not so easy. I think about this since one year. In the end it should also have it's own engine and should be small enough to pass through a door
I agree ,Choosing the right chipper for ones specific needs can be confusing and expensive

My chipper progression,

Started with a 6Hp Craftsman

Moved on to a 10HP OHV Tomahawk

Both worked OK but I always needed just a litter more power and wanted something that would self feed limbs and branches,

I was going to go the 3 point hitch route and get one to use with my tractor but was concerned about vibration and wear and tear on my tractor, I know that part sounds silly it is a tractor after all and was meant to work but for me it was still a concern and it also meant that when I was using the chipper I was putting more hours on my tractor

Last fall I saw a hand scribbled ad on the for sale bulletin board at my local TSC for a Fitchburg Chipper for $450, I called the guy up and made an appointment to go see it,Needless to say I now have a old(1960's) but very nice 12" drum Fitchburg powered by a Ford 4 cyl Industrial motor, I can tow this thing around with my tractor and set it up on a spot unhook it from the tractor and use it, I burn wood to heat my home so anything over 2" in diameter is firewood. By not having the chipper attached to my tractor I can use the tractor to haul wood back to the firewood pile and use the chipper to turn the small branches and leaves into mulch that I can either spread around and leave on the ground or I can use the chipper and feed them into the back of my truck and use them for landcscaping in the flower beds.

Well Carl,
It is self powered with its own motor and it does have a large hopper to accept large bushy branches without having to cut them down. Unfortunately it is about 7 foot wide so it will not fit thru many smaller gates but my closest neighbor who is not a friend is almost 1/4 mile away so I don't have to worry about him borrowing it.

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
...my closest neighbor who is not a friend is almost 1/4 mile away so I don't have to worry about him borrowing it.
Sound's that somebody is in fear that his neighbor say 'hello' and then look around what he could borrow... :p

Their is no perfect chippper, only a best fit for one kind of a job. It looks like that there is a need for a family of chippers. If I get my chipper welded, it will be my second one next to my electric little garden chipper.
Self-feeding would also be cool, but it would only be a gadget to show-off. I don't have so much to chipp to make the work really shorter.

@ cmorningstar01: Please post some pic's. :rolleyes:

carl

Last edited:

cmorningstar01

Equipment
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
Sound's that somebody is in fear that his neighbor say 'hello' and then look around what he could borrow.
Actually we do say hello we just do not really socialize with each other,Actually I plow their drive when it snows.

I do not mind using my equiptment to help my neighbor out but my motto is:
Never a lender or a borrower be, Meaning If my equipment is being used then I am the one using it. That way if it gets broken I did the breaking and therefore the only blame is on me.

Here are some pics of my chipper, It ain't pretty(or orange) but it does the job! It is powered by a 4 Cylinder Ford Power Products Industrial Engine, It has a 2 way discharge shute that I can either use to load a truck or switch to the side discharge and disperse on the ground, The large hose is connected to a fan that helps boost the front discharge.

You can see my barn in the background of the last pic, Thats where the rest of my equipment goes when not in use, The chipper is stored outside and only goes inside when I service it

Attachments

Last edited:

DJG

Equipment
2007 B7800 LA402 FEL
Aug 1, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
Sweet deal indeed. Big enough to handle nearly everything. I went around&around about buying a chipper (see what happens after you get your first tractor?), and eventually took the advice of an OTT-er who said, basically, just pile up the limbs and burn them.
It is a hassle to double handle them, I admit, but I don't have another piece of equipment to buy, maintain & store, and since my bride isn't keen on my putting up a barn quite yet, I've got to limit my equipment collection.
Enjoy your chipper. I guess I still wish I had one, and a log splitter, and a brush hog, and a tiller, and a plow, and a ..........bigger bank account.

cmorningstar01

Equipment
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
It is a hassle to double handle them, I admit, but I don't have another piece of equipment to buy, maintain & store, and since my bride isn't keen on my putting up a barn quite yet
The barn has a 12" x 20" room partitioned off in it that is insulated,sheetrocked and has a small wall mounted thermostatically controlled propane heater , It has cabinets and counter space and my honey has all her arts & crafts stuff out there. Bribery will get you many things:rolleyes:

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
This look's really 50 years old. But regarding that age, it will also work the next 50 years. :)
You must be very brave! If I would stand infront of that, it would not be easy to say "Deal". But if you have seen it in action maybe you have figured out it is a good chipper.
Maybe you finde the time to service the paint and change it to orange... :rolleyes:

carl

cmorningstar01

Equipment
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
This look's really 50 years old.
I believe it was made in the 1960's so yes it's close to 50 years old and the way it is made it will probably last me the rest of my lifetime and that is all that matters to me:D, I saw/heard it run/chip before I purchased it and yes it does chip great.
This type of chipper is commonly referred to as a Chuck and Duck, Chuck the branch in the hopper and duck because it will spit some chips back at you, Safety googles are a necessity as is hearing protection.

While most of my equipment is orange(my favorite color)I do have some green,red and black equipment so I think I will hold off on the orange paint on this one;)

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
My vote is CSV-2515, from Patriot. ...
Hello,

When I take a look at all the Patriot's, I don't believe I would have bought one. The reason is that trees don't grow straight and when I see the long funnel and their statement about 3" capability it does not fit.

Am I wrong?

carl

Last edited: