Musk Thistle Control?

LarryBud

Equipment
L3130
Dec 5, 2020
Cleveland, MO
Hi Folks,

I have a few acres which were worked with a dozer last year. I have replanted some, with more planting to be done this fall. The dirt work has created a serious musk thistle outbreak.

I have been mowing to prevent them from going to seed. I'm sure a few will seed as they lay flat under the mower deck. Now comes spraying. Questions:

If I spray now, as the heat of summer approaches, will it be worth the time and expense? Or, do I keep them mowed and go after them this fall / next spring?

Also, I can use 2, 4, D for about $50 / 2.5 gallons or the county agent suggested Grazon Next HL for ~ $150 / 2 gallons. Since my labor cost will be the same while spraying either, I want to use what effective but I see 2, 4, D is the primary product in Grazon.

Anyone have experience / advice here?

Thanks

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Hi Folks,

I have a few acres which were worked with a dozer last year. I have replanted some, with more planting to be done this fall. The dirt work has created a serious musk thistle outbreak.

I have been mowing to prevent them from going to seed. I'm sure a few will seed as they lay flat under the mower deck. Now comes spraying. Questions:

If I spray now, as the heat of summer approaches, will it be worth the time and expense? Or, do I keep them mowed and go after them this fall / next spring?

Also, I can use 2, 4, D for about $50 / 2.5 gallons or the county agent suggested Grazon Next HL for ~ $150 / 2 gallons. Since my labor cost will be the same while spraying either, I want to use what effective but I see 2, 4, D is the primary product in Grazon.

Anyone have experience / advice here?

Thanks
Mow to keep from going to seed. Use a 2-4-D product to kill plants, and seed grass to thicken the competition. Ask the county agent about the differences in herbicide products. Often a branded product will use additives to make a basic herbicide more effective for certain uses. I believe that musk thistle is sensitive to plain 2-4-D, but do a little research.

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
Glyphosate, 24-D, and triclypr all kill thistles.
I spray Canadian thistles with whatever is in my pump sprayer as I spot spray other weeds and briers. 24-D is best for a hay field as it won't kill grasses or clover. 24-D is the most toxic, so follow the safety instructions.