Mobil 1 10w30

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Guys I dont want this to turn into an oil thread, just a question about the letters on the oil jug,,, I changed oil inthe truck and i noticed the following things on the jug, and since I have to change oil in the BX, it made me wonder..
The following is on the lable ILSAC GF5 API SN SM SL so is this oil ok to use inthe Buota as well??

Rowan Mays

Equipment
B7100 HST with Belly Mower 3Point Blade, 3Point Scoop, 3 Point Carry-All,
May 2, 2011
Highvale Qld Australia
Guys I dont want this to turn into an oil thread, just a question about the letters on the oil jug,,, I changed oil inthe truck and i noticed the following things on the jug, and since I have to change oil in the BX, it made me wonder..
The following is on the lable ILSAC GF5 API SN SM SL so is this oil ok to use inthe Buota as well??
Indeed OK to use - the standards of the M1 are better than the oil spec you're undoubtedly used to.
More expensive, too - least wise more expensive in .au.
I hope you're intending to use the M1 in the engine and not the hydraulics:)

BTW, I wouldn't be all that tempted to put the M1 in there and extend the the change interval unreasonably without having a Very Good Look at the stuff as it ages. That's more to do with the actual condition of your engine and what's getting past the rings into the crankcase as you run it.
Oh - and 10W might not be too flash for you next winter.

Rowan Mays

Equipment
B7100 HST with Belly Mower 3Point Blade, 3Point Scoop, 3 Point Carry-All,
May 2, 2011
Highvale Qld Australia
Indeed OK to use - the standards of the M1 are better than the oil spec you're undoubtedly used to.
More expensive, too - least wise more expensive in .au.
I hope you're intending to use the M1 in the engine and not the hydraulics;)

BTW, I wouldn't be all that tempted to put the M1 in there and extend the the change interval unreasonably without having a Very Good Look at the stuff as it ages. That's more to do with the actual condition of your engine and what's getting past the rings into the crankcase as you run it.
Oh - and 10W might not be too flash for you next winter:p.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Skeets, I'm sure you already know where I stand on engine oils so there's no need to go there. I spent a couple of hrs on mobil's site and found this info to try and help answer your question. Again, this info is directly from Mobil's own web site.

Q. Is mobil synthetic oil bad for diesel engines?
The person who asked this question was inquiring about oil for a 6.0 powerstroke.

A. Mobil said use Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck. This product was reciently reformulated and upgraded to API CJ-4, and it continues to meet older categories such as API CI-4, CH-4, ect. With the exception of Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck, you should not use other Mobil 1 products in your diesel engine.

I hope this helps to answer your question. I have always followed this rule of thumb. Diesel oil can be used in either type engine. Gas oil can't be used in a diesel. The reason being that gas oil doesn't have the correct additives for use in a diesel engine but most diesel oil meets or exceeds gas engine requirements.

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
Guys... I have a Mobile lubricant engineer as a neighbor. He is 64 years old and has been in the libricant business for over 30 years. He has a Dodge Diesel PU and a Kubota like mine.

We both use Mobile Delvac lll for our diesels. If you yse Mobile I you just have to change it a it more often. On Delvac lll I'll go between 75 and 100 hours betweem changes. On Mobile it is every 50 hours.

I have followed his advice fo over 20 years and history in published lit has backed him up 100% so far.

FYI.... Delvac lll is touted as the 1.0 m mile oil from Mobile for diesel trucks.

Butch

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Hi Butch, ask your neighbor about the info that I posted and get his opinion on it. I found that on Mobil's web site. They didn't say anything about the Delvac because the question was with reguards to synthetic but it said not to use any other Mobil 1 products in a diesel besides their Turbo Diesel Truck oil. Like I said the question was about a powerstroke engine so does that apply to just a PS or is that for all diesels. I would be curious to know the answer to that.

I agree with you about the Delvac. In my opinion it's probably the best conventional oil on the market for a diesel engine.