Maximum RPM's

aim4gold

Equipment
B3200
May 23, 2011
NE Kansas
I just bought my first tractor, B3200

I have 2 questions about RPM's,
1. during breakin, what would be considered maximum RPM's?
2. After breakin, what would be considered maximum RPM's?

Thanks

aim4gold

Equipment
B3200
May 23, 2011
NE Kansas
The owners manual doesn't spell things out in "matter of fact" words

It states: "operate the tractor for the first 50 hours at a slower speed and avoid excessive work or operation until the various parts become broken-in"
- Do not run the engine at speeds faster than necessary.

That doesn't really suggest any limits?
I was hoping some of you experienced owner/operators might have some suggestions/comments

As far as max working RPM - can I assume that engine rated RPM of 2700 is considered maximum?

bikerdib

Equipment
L4701 with FEL, BH92 backhoe
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
I'm not giving this info as an intended guideline, just saying what I've done. For general dirt work with a blade on the 3pt or using the FEL I ran the engine around 1900 and slowly worked up to 2100 RPM after about 15 hours. It never bogged at that setting and I always run out of traction before running out of power. I haven't mowed with the shredder yet (in a drought so there is nothing to mow) but when I do I'll run it at or just below the PTO rpm. I really see no need to ever go above the PTO RPM anyway, even after it's fully broken in. Even when I was pulling down trees to prepare an area for my new pond I never ran over 2100 RPM, usually around 1900. I really thing bogging the engine would do more harm than using a few more RPM to get a job done. I've got around 35 hours on it now and I haven't had to add a drop of oil. Now if this damn drought would end and I'd get some rain to fill my pond, I'd be a happy man!

bikerdib

Equipment
L4701 with FEL, BH92 backhoe
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
bikerdib,,, maybe a canal from La???

Funny you say that. The Lower Colorado River Authority has an irrigation canal about 1.5 miles from my place. They sell water from the Colorado river to the rice farmers. I drive past the canal everytime I go out to my place. I wonder how much a mile and a half of 4" pipe would cost? ;)

Eddie Jr.

Equipment
B3200 HSD
Mar 27, 2011
Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada EH!
I'm with bikerdib on this, I too have a B3200. The first 10 hours or so I used the loader and rear bade quite a bit and ran the engine around 1600 at first then worked up to about 2000rpm. The next 10 hrs I got as high as 2300 and always had lots and lots of power. I used the mower for the first time when the tractor had almost 20hrs on it and was a little nervous about spooling it up for the first time. I removed the rear blade and the loader before I went out for the first cut, engaged the mid PTO let the clutch out and slowly crept up to just below the PTO line (2700rpm on the B3200 I believe) and you have never heard a sweeter sound! She purred like a kitten, almost eerily smooth even with the mower running. I have almost 40 hrs on her now and dont often exceed 2000rpm for most work but do run it up for a 2-3hr mow once a week or so. I am looking forward to my first service to get some of the break in fluids out. I hear the stuff that comes out in the first change is a bit unsettling to see.
Good Luck, hope the info helped!
M.