M6060 Rear Remote Leak

hamm107

Equipment
M6060
Jun 14, 2023
Brooks, Maine
1.5 year old M6060 with ~120 hours. I have one pair of rear hydraulic connections which I've been using for a hydraulic top link. The hoses for the link are pre made with fittings from tractor supply. On the tractor side, they are push/pull Faster 3CFPV females.
When connected, there is a leak at both QD connections, male to female. It drips about a drip every 5 seconds or so. I've taken them apart, cleaned, wiped, and reinstalled. I cannot visually see any foreign material or any nicks on the o-rings, and the male ends appear to be clean and smooth, with only one minor blemish/slightly worn spot on one. I have switched the hoses around.

It's a hydraulic top link and I use a flail mower, bed shaper/layer, disc, cultivator, etc, so there's a lot of movement of these hoses, but it doesn't seem right to have hydrailic fluid all around the rear of the tractor and a drip.

I cleaned it all off yesterday, ran the tractor, manipulated the remotes, and there was no leak to start. Then I pulled the hoses at the connection left, right, up down, and could start to see fluid weeping around the connection, oozing to the bottom and starting the drip. Is this just what I should expect with a hydraulic connection that gets moved all around?

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sounds like it needs a new O-ring.
Some are rebuildable some are not.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
1.5 year old M6060 with ~120 hours. I have one pair of rear hydraulic connections which I've been using for a hydraulic top link. The hoses for the link are pre made with fittings from tractor supply. On the tractor side, they are push/pull Faster 3CFPV females.
When connected, there is a leak at both QD connections, male to female. It drips about a drip every 5 seconds or so. I've taken them apart, cleaned, wiped, and reinstalled. I cannot visually see any foreign material or any nicks on the o-rings, and the male ends appear to be clean and smooth, with only one minor blemish/slightly worn spot on one. I have switched the hoses around.

It's a hydraulic top link and I use a flail mower, bed shaper/layer, disc, cultivator, etc, so there's a lot of movement of these hoses, but it doesn't seem right to have hydrailic fluid all around the rear of the tractor and a drip.

I cleaned it all off yesterday, ran the tractor, manipulated the remotes, and there was no leak to start. Then I pulled the hoses at the connection left, right, up down, and could start to see fluid weeping around the connection, oozing to the bottom and starting the drip. Is this just what I should expect with a hydraulic connection that gets moved all around?
Evet wonder why Faster sells little drip troughs that mount under their couplers.....

Dan

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
It is not supposed to make any difference, but are the male ends ball or poppet type?
I would go with poppet type and change the o-rings.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
If there was a defect in the O-ring bad enough to see by just looking at it without a microscope it would be leaking more than a drip every 5 seconds. Last time I had a similar issue, couldn’t see anything wrong with the O-ring before changing it. Couldn’t see any defects under a magnifying lamp after pulling it out. New O-ring fixed it. Change the O-rings.

Reactions: 1 user

hamm107

Equipment
M6060
Jun 14, 2023
Brooks, Maine
They're poppet style. I just found it hard to believe that the o-rings are bad on 2 QDs, I had the factory dust caps on these for the first 100 hours, and then only used the hydraulic top link for less than 20 hours, and I don't take it on and off.

Anyway, I'll get some o-rings and try it out. It seems like there is an o-ring and a backing ring. They seem really hard to find or find the spec on them so I can buy a generic o-ring that fits.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
They're poppet style. I just found it hard to believe that the o-rings are bad on 2 QDs, I had the factory dust caps on these for the first 100 hours, and then only used the hydraulic top link for less than 20 hours, and I don't take it on and off.

Anyway, I'll get some o-rings and try it out. It seems like there is an o-ring and a backing ring. They seem really hard to find or find the spec on them so I can buy a generic o-ring that fits.
I had the same issue finding specs for mine. Maybe someone here is smart enough to know the specs for yours. I’m not that knowledgeable.

Took me some research to figure out I needed Buna-N medium hard. Past that I had to pull the old one and mic it to get dimensions. Cost for a bag of 25 was less than a Chik-Fil-A combo meal. Wrote a note in my OM and WSM so I maybe I wont have to reinvent the wheel if I ever need more.

Reactions: 1 user

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
The couplers are all ISO (international standards organization) now. You should be able to pick them up at the nearest dealership for any color tractor.

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Well, all hydraulic couplers on tractors now are ISO spec. Probably/most likely 5675's 1/2 inch pioneer body style. They are all supposed to be manufactured to the same spec. Hence interchangeability from one implement and/or one tractor to another. They are specifically labeled as coupler/hydraulic fitting o-rings. So I'm betting the odds are far better than not that they'll fit.
I like custard filled by the way.

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Well, all hydraulic couplers on tractors now are ISO spec. Probably/most likely 5675's 1/2 inch pioneer body style. They are all supposed to be manufactured to the same spec. Hence interchangeability from one implement and/or one tractor to another. They are specifically labeled as coupler/hydraulic fitting o-rings. So I'm betting the odds are far better than not that they'll fit.
I like custard filled by the way.
  1. Faster 3CFPV couplers are not ISO 5675. They are ISO 7241A.
  2. ISO 7241A couplers "accept" ISO 5675 nipples in 1,/2 inch body size only
  3. ISO 5675 specifies some minor nipple geometry. i have attached a copy of the standard - 5 pages.
  4. ISO 7241A ontains the full dimensional data for the nipple. I have attached it as well - 5 pages.
  5. In general the OEM is free to do whatever they want with the rest of the coupler as long as it accepts the nipple.
  6. The orings on that rack are standard AS568 (imperial) orings
  7. I dont know for a fact but Faster is in Europe and I would expect metric o-rings.
Dan

Attachments

Last edited: