M4500 Questions

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
All-right I just bought a M4500, was looking for an affordable 45-50 hp tractor and this came up. I'm a IH/Farmall guy by birth and admittedly don't know a lot about Kubota stuff. This tractor has all of 970 hours on it which seems pretty low. It's a little bit of an odd duck as far as I can tell, It has the rubber, rims and dual remotes on it from the 5500 series tractors. It had not run (been parked) for 5 years or more and started by only adding a fresh battery which i thought was mighty impressive.
First - any reliability issues with this tractor or the S2600 engine series? I notice that the rod journal size is only 1.73 or so, that seems pretty small.
Second - At some time in this tractors life it was converted from the factory alternator to a one wire type (GM/Delco) alternator. Of course this left some loose ends on the wiring harness but it seems to charge well. The issue I have is that if i hook the low beam headlights up then all the lights are on all the time regardless of the switch position. With the low beams disconnected then the high beams will function properly with the switch. (I hate diagnosing electrical gremlins!) any ideas?????? (idiot lights all work properly ie. charge, oil and PTO as well as the gauges)