loose nuts

Singing Pebbles Pottery

Equipment
Kubota BX1850 tractor with mowing deck, snow blower and front end loader
Sep 22, 2023
Cape Breton
The nuts of the left front wheel of my BX 1850 come loose even after having been tightened each time I set out. This last time, several even fell out before I noticed the problem. What causes this? The dealer tells me that it is just that I've not torqued them adequately. However, none of the other wheels have the same problem. Thanks for your ideas

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
If the stud threads are worn then the nuts might come loose. Now, the real question is, are you using the correct terms, because my BX22 & BX23S both used bolts to hold the front wheels onto the spindle plates. I have to agree with your dealer, that it is a matter of the bolts being properly torqued. I don't know what the specification is, and if you are not using a torque wrench, you don't know either. I torque my front bolts to 80 foot pounds which I believe is sufficient to keep them from coming loose. My torque wrench is a click type that clicks when you reach the torque setting. I go over them twice in a crisis cross pattern. If they come loose when you use a torque wrench, then the most likely culprit will be that the threads of the bolts are worn, and you need to purchase new bolts. You also can use Locktite on them, but it will require that you use a torch to warm them when the time comes to remove them for repairs. The only time that I use Locktite on a bolt is if it is subject to vibrations that will cause it to work itself loose. The bolts should be torqued when they are at room temperature. Extreme cold and heat can affect torque, especially cold. How much I can't tell you, but I know this can be a factor.

Reactions: 1 user

WI_Hedgehog

Equipment
BX2370 (impliment details in Profile-About)
Apr 24, 2024
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
Also, is the torque wrench accurate? Is it stored at the proper setting (10ft*lbs perhaps)? It is a Craftsman and the rubber grip moved which moves the site window and it then reads incorrectly? Are you gripping the wrench on the grip and not choking up or putting a cheater bar on it?

Did you lube the bolts (nuts???)? Are the outer threads damaged from cross-threading and re-tapped (and now loose)? Were the bolts (nuts??) over-torqued at some point and are now stretched out of specification?

Steve67

Equipment
B2601-fel, 60"mmm, 5' rear blade, balast box
Jan 20, 2017
St. Louis, mo.
I had to get some form fitting underwear, much better support

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Singing Pebbles Pottery

Equipment
Sep 22, 2023
Cape Breton
Thank you for the practical replies. I was wondering how long the other answers would take ... ha ha ... less than 2 hours!!!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Maybe someone jammed METRIC nuts on Imperial studs ?
Don't laugh, Ford did that in the 80s, HUGE kerfuffel !!!

Try the loose nuts on the opposite hub, just a finger tightness test,DON'T use ANY power tools !

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
Parts finder shows bolts. The owners manual for a 1880 shows 110-132 ftlbs. I am guessing you are not getting them torqued properly. Plus now considering the number of times the wheel has come loose I am thinking the holes in the rim are deformed, making it even harder to try to keep the bolts tights.

Have a hard look at the bolts and the rim, both could be damaged beyond repair.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Time to throw it out and buy a new machine with new nuts. :mad:

• Haha

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Curious, online parts shows BX1850 has 4 , 9/16 wheel bolts. Buy 4 new bolts and install with say 80-90 ftlbs torque( 'should' be in the manual somewhere... ). If ANY of them come loose, then you'll need to buy a new front axle/hub ,which in Canada is a $305 item, plus 13% taxes.

Singing Pebbles Pottery

Equipment
Sep 22, 2023
Cape Breton
Curious, online parts shows BX1850 has 4 , 9/16 wheel bolts. Buy 4 new bolts and install with say 80-90 ftlbs torque( 'should' be in the manual somewhere... ). If ANY of them come loose, then you'll need to buy a new front axle/hub ,which in Canada is a $305 item, plus 13% taxes.
Bought 4 new bolts and all seems fine. Will check torque regularly. Thanks all!!!