Looking for Ideas on how to keep birds from destroying my new fascia boards.

LFP57

Equipment
LX2610 Land pride QH 10, BB1560, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, Top n Tilt, Wicked T
Sep 21, 2021
Michigan
I have bay windows that run the height of two story house, the birds (Wood Pickers) destroyed the wood and then the squirrels moved in. I had to replace all of the boards (16 foot long Cedar) and now they're back at it again, anyone have any suggestions on to keep them away from the wood fasica (and other wood trim ) on my house?

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I feel your pain.

IMG_0156.JPG
IMG_0120.jpg

All of the white in the 2nd pic is replaced trim and pecker holes filled with stucco fence epoxy.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Our cabin was originally a natural wood finish, which looks like a dead tree to acorn woodpeckers.
After trying everything to get them to leave the place alone, we spoke to animal behaviorists, and they told us to remove any dead trees in the area, (habitat) and change the color & texture of the building, so it looks less like a dead tree.
We replaced trim, patched holes, & painted the cabin a dark chocolate brown, and all that has helped a lot.
They still peck on it some.
I'm told that all the birds that have pecked on it in the past will continue to do so, until they die. The bad part is that they teach this behavior to their young.
So the only sure fire way to stop them is to kill them all, but of course, you can't do that, because they are a federally protected species. :mad:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
The peckers are after bugs. Deal with the bugs and the peckers go away.
Wrong, at least in Arizona. Edit (depending upon species & location)
Acorn woodpeckers have little interest in bugs, they only drill holes to store acorns.
My place was checked several times before I learned this, and NO bugs.

572[1].jpg

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Wrong, at least in Arizona.
Acorn woodpeckers have little interest in bugs, they only drill holes to store acorns.
My place was checked several times before I learned this, and NO bugs.

View attachment 140300
I think I recall your pictures with the damage years ago on OTT.

No bugs to be had.

We moved into this house 33 years ago this month.

Next morning here there was a Pecker slamming on an aluminum ladder across the road….friggin thing wouldn’t quit until my (new) neighbor took the damn thing down from the house several days later.🪜

Wish he left it up, because then the dog started barking……🐕

I think @hagrid is incorrect.

Sometimes peckers just want to drill something.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Whenever I hear ‘ I have a headache’ I know it’s not going to work out and I go away…maybe try telling em that or put the MIL near it. 😉

It probably would not look nice but you could put some hardware cloth over it….probably work better if you keep it away from the wood a little so they can’t peck through it…it would look aweful though.