Looking for a Tow-Behind Spreader that can handle powders

toxcrusadr

Equipment
L4600
Apr 18, 2016
Columbia MO
I want to spread (my own) wood ash over an acre or so. I have a riding mower so I think a tow behind spreader would be best, but I can't find one.

Spreading powders is tricky, the regular fertilizer spreaders don't work. I've tried both the old Scotts drop spreader with the rotating toothy shaft, and the broadcast spreader. I have a pretty nice new broadcast one, basically has holes in the bottom of the hopper that open depending on the setting, and little rotating wires (actually just long cotter pins) that spin around just over the holes. Both types of spreaders clog up rapidly with ash and won't spread it.

I know farmers use powdered ag lime, and there are special spreaders that can handle powders, but they are all huge and expensive (like $thousands). I have a lot of trees and obstacles to work around, so putting a 6 ft wide one on the big Kubota is just not feasible anyway.

I've looked at all kinds of spreaders both hand pushed and pull-behind/ATV types, and they are all either rotary broadcast or traditional drop style, which I don't think will work, especially if they don't say they can handle powders.

Anyone know of a residential or estate sized spreader that can do powders?

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I've used walk behind drop spreaders for powdered lime without issues. You'd have a dust cloud if you used a broadcast spreader.
I think you might have either bridging from damp material or oversized chunks of unburnt material. You could screen out oversized pieces, but I don't know what to recommend if the ashes are sticky.

toxcrusadr

Equipment
L4600
Apr 18, 2016
Columbia MO
I've used walk behind drop spreaders for powdered lime without issues. You'd have a dust cloud if you used a broadcast spreader.
I think you might have either bridging from damp material or oversized chunks of unburnt material. You could screen out oversized pieces, but I don't know what to recommend if the ashes are sticky.
I do sift out the ash to remove charcoal, clinkers and nails & staples. It's pretty fine. Maybe the old Scotts drop spreader wasn't totally dry or something when I tried it. Upon further reflection, we junked it last year after the works got so rusty it didn't really turn right anymore. Maybe that had something to do with it.

So, you think a garden variety tow behind drop spreader should work on ash? I just didn't want to buy one if it isn't going to work.

toxcrusadr

Equipment
L4600
Apr 18, 2016
Columbia MO
Thanks, I'll look into it!

I got a message back from JR Metal Products, which makes similar ones to the Garber, and they said their drop spreaders should work fine for powders.