Log Skidding Winch for Vehicle Recovery

Urbancottager

Equipment
Kubota M6-DTCC-F
May 23, 2021
Haliburton, Ontario, Canada
Does anyone know the pulling capability of a Wallenstein FX140 winch (rated at 14,000lbs) mounted on a MX5200 3PT? I understand what the winch can do, but what can the tractor handle? Don’t want to break the 3PT..

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
The specs say it is for 80-120 HP. I don't know if that is because it's so heavy or because it is so powerful.

Outdoors with the Morgans on YouTube were showing some type of skidding winch. You might look up that video as well to get more of an idea of what is possible. I believe the tractor they had it on was about equivalent to a MX5200.

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
Depending on what and where you are recovering, that winch will work with your tractor , you just won't be able to use the full 14k pull since the MX5200 only weighs 3700# bare weight.
If that winch is like my Norse 450, with the winch lowered, when it is under load, the butt plate digs into the ground and keeps the tractor from being dragged backwards .
A lighter tractor can and will be moved and potentially subject it to damage when pulling an excess load or if the load gets stopped by something in the pull path.
The winch alone weights 900# so some weight up front, FEL, etc will be required.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I would think your tractor manual has a chart like my BX23S does for 3ph lift and towing ?
Stress would be on the 3ph 'attachments'(pins and links).
If the winch has the 'shoe', then it should be able to pull the load. Once free, towing depends onweight of the load, and if the load is 'dead' or has rotating wheels. Mushy ground helps !

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I use a Farmi skidding winch on my MX5800, the winch will potentially pull the tractor over before it runs out of pull capacity. I’d say it could be used for vehicle recovery in certain situations. What are you wanting to recover?

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Use a snatch block and it will increase the pulling power, and also lessen the strain. Retrieving cars with a winch is an art that can get you into trouble quickly if you do it wrong. I live on a dirt road, and someone that wasn't familiar with the road drove off the side, and the car almost was a rollover. The local tow company showed up with a flatbed and proceeded to try to get it out of the ditch. If I hadn't stopped him, he would have rolled the car on the roof. It should have been a wrecker and an operator that knew how to do a recovery. I told him how to hook it up to safely get it back on the road, but it was questionable since he didn't know what he was doing. There is more to recovery than just putting a cable on and pulling.

Reactions: 1 users