little 4' bush hog leaking in front

man00

Jul 3, 2013
okla
I noticed after filling to overflow a leak started where the PTO shaft connect to gear box on cutter. Did I overfill it? the cutter was lower in the front and the over fill plug is on back of gear box. Anyways if it's a hard fix or cost too much
I thought about just filling with grease. If I go that route do I fill with grease all the way top of gear box?

Sorry this is a Big Bee 4' bush hog.
Thanks

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Sounds like a bad seal. I had a old Bushhog cutter that did that. I hardly ever used it so I filled the gearbox with grease and kept running. I made sure it was full before it was used and rand it that way for years. The correct way to fix it would be to replace the seal but grease will get you by for a long time.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If you use grease, go to your JD dealer and get some corn head grease.

Copied this from another site:

corn head grease is a poly urea based NLGI 0EP grease.

commonly used in corn headers and similar boxes. It is a semi-pourable grease suitable for some gear boxes as it will slump to prevent cavitation voids like a #2 grease might cause.

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
You could put grease, my Kodak bush hog came factory with grease in it. Although I would repair the seal weather oil or gease goes in it. If oil is leaking out, water and/or debris can work its way in.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Grab the pto shaft, at the gearbox, pull up and push down, see if there is bearing looseness. Also check end play, by pulling and pushing, at the gearbox end of the shaft. If you find a lot of play, I'd fill up with grease, and run it like you stole it. If you blow up the box, surpluscenter.com likely has it for $100-150.

If there is no play, pull the seal, by removing pto shaft, and clutch, if so equipped, then pulling seal by drilling 3 holes screwing in 3 sheet metal screws. and prying out with a cat's paw, Seal shouldn't cost much more $20.

It is advisable to get the numbers off the seal, and procuring the part, before dismantling...:D:D