lets talk how diesels work

framer rob

Equipment
2230 tractorC
Jun 6, 2017
antonito colorado
so here is a few things I want to find out 1 does the diesel have spark plugs that can go bad ? is the main function of the glow plug just for temperatures be low a certain degree to warm the fuel so it will ignite? other then that it doesn't have any thing to do with the starting of the tractor, or if blown will it allow it to turn over but not start even though it is not cold out? and is there a certain type of oil I have to use in my 2230 tractor other then car oil? if anyone can answere these questions I would greatly appreciate it thanks

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
no realy help me understand my 2230 diesel tractor and how the motor works like and differences to gas motor:eek:
lets see if this works.....

gas needs - fuel, compression (something like 9-1) and spark - fuel is placed at the last second (injection) and right before the piston hits TDC (top dead center) the spark happens- lights fuel - a controlled explosion .......

diesel....similar .....HIGHER compression - (20-1) and when air is squeezed that much - it gets real hot, diesel injected right at last second, air is so hot that the diesel "explodes" by itself.... no spark needed.;):)

you need to use DIESEL oil....it has more "Stuff" in it to protect diesel blowby.....
glow plugs can be needed all year long - more used in cold weather.....I have two engines that need a little glow to go every time unless hot!

Last edited:

framer rob

Equipment
2230 tractorC
Jun 6, 2017
antonito colorado
lets see if this works.....

gas needs - fuel, compression (something like 9-1) and spark - fuel is placed at the last second (injection) and right before the piston hits TDC (top dead center) the spark happens- lights fuel - a controlled explosion .......

diesel....similar .....HIGHER compression - (20-1) and when air is squeezed that much - it gets real hot, diesel injected right at last second, air is so hot that the diesel "explodes" by itself.... no spark needed.;):)

you need to use DIESEL oil....it has more "Stuff" in it to protect diesel blowby.....
glow plugs can be needed all year long - more used in cold weather.....I have two engines that need a little glow to go every time unless hot!
thanks so this problem could be a glow plug issue ?