Leaking Oil Site Glass - L3400 DTW

eglaude

Equipment
ZD18 Mower W/54" Deck, L3400 Tractor, JD Gator 4X2
Jun 14, 2011
Richmond, TX
Howdy y'all,

After working a hard day of clearing lumber off my land with my L3400, I noticed a couple drops of oil on the concrete the next morning. Fearing the worst, I hit the concrete real fast to look for what I thought was going to be a serious repair job. I love this L3400, and what a beast this is in 4WD, so I was going to fix her no matter what! That would have hurt I am sure.

Well, turns out it was coming from the site glass. The rubber gasket looked a bit worn, and it is plastic! I didn't mess with it too much as I feared cracking more or breaking it off would really mess the barn up, and I would loose some pretty expensive hydraulic oil. I run the AMSOIL synthetic in her.

Looking around a few other forums, this seems to be a common failure and the new style are glass. I am going to get a few and keep them on hand for periodic preventative maintenance.

The problem or question that I have is there was a little white plastic mounted in the site area and it appears to have dislodged and is in the resrevoir somewhere. I could try to drain it all out and hope for that it flows out of the drain hole or try somehow to fish it out with a wire. If I just leave it in there, will there be something really bad happen or will it break up in the gearing and get filtered? There are no problems yet as I ran it for a while but did take it easy.

Thanks guys, appreciate the help.:)

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Thats a tough call boss, I'd hate like hell to see a 10 cent piece of plastic reuin your day and your motor.