Laziest man south of the Mackinac bridge strikes again....Quick log splitter mod.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
So I have this little Wen log splitter that I got from of course Amazon, and man for the money it can't be beat.

One problem I have in general, is bending over to pick the rounds up.

Nothing crazy big either, I'm just lazy.

So I bought a "hook a roon" from Fisker and it is F'ing amazing. It was such a relief when I started using it.

20230804_074841.jpeg

20230804_074822.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Well as it turns out, the gravitational pull in our area works overtime and so I ended up picking up the damn Hook-a-roon instead of the rounds........

Although it's much lighter than the rounds, it kept falling off the splitter, so my saying "MotherF$$ker/bending over" ratio stayed the same.

So today was the last straw.......Last week I bought a "fishing magnet" (yes thats a real thing) to pick up some nails in the grass.

Turns out that it works OK, but its small surface area makes it less than ideal for that task.

Then it hit me.....it might solve my "cursing to bend over ratio" problem.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I decided to place it near where my left hand has to depress the lever to actuate the ram.
sorry for the side ways shot

1000003969.jpeg

Then just drilled the hole and secured it with a nut

1000003970.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
It works awesome. I tested it with my axe just for "kicks and giggles"

20230804_075357.jpeg

Almost too good really. I found that just putting the tip of the Hook-a-roon on actually works better.

If you put it on "fully" as pictured you gotta kind of "yank" it off.

1000003972.jpeg

Took me longer to find my drill than to actually do the mod...hahahaha

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
The HF log splitter has racks alongside the splitter-wedge…so when the log is split…it merely lays open on the rack… no bending over required. I’ll bet you could weld or bolt something similar onto the sides of yours.

IMG_1578.jpeg

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
The HF log splitter has racks alongside the splitter-wedge…so when the log is split…it merely lays open on the rack… no bending over required. I’ll bet you could weld or bolt something similar onto the sides of yours.

View attachment 108625

I was gonna do that, but I'm still kicking around the idea of making a "Mack Daddy" log splitter.

Problem is, I have 237,993 projects in front of the splitter so............I dunno.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
My bending over has to do with 'girth'
I'm not lazy. Just something is there in the way.
I did buy a small electric splitter from a farm supply store in Vermont. As it was on sale. I stack wood on my porch and always have larger sticks to split.
So that little electric POS works fine for that.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Although it's much lighter than the rounds, it kept falling off the splitter, so my saying "MotherF$$ker/bending over" ratio stayed the same.
Then it hit me.....it might solve my "cursing to bend over ratio" problem.
^^^^^^

I doubt it.....judging by your gratuitous of use it in most of your posts. ;)

But I do like your solution. I use my Pickaroons a LOT. They are such a back saver.

I have one permanently mounted to the bucket of tractor and another that stays in my ranch truck. Hadn't thought about a magnet to hold them in place...but I like the idea.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
^^^^^^

I doubt it.....judging by your gratuitous of use it in most of your posts. ;)
I blame it on the Marines.

The first thing I said at the dinner table after boot camp was "Hey Ma, pass the fu@#ing ketchup" o_O

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
A pickeroon/hookeroon and a set of large log tongs are great. If I had to choose one, it'd be the log tongs. I made a sheath that is bolted to the axle/tank of my splitter - you could do the same sort of thing on your belt.

Fiskars makes a couple sizes, too.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I found this instead…

I like that I can release the log just by bouncing it…. Offset, balances the log really well!

I do have to make a mount on my splitter for it, though… I do keep dropping it.. sigh.

I have one of those, but I only used it one time when I felled a tree when I first got our cottage.

I used it to jack up sections of log in order to keep the chainsaw blade out of the dirt.

Now it sits very nicely on my Swiss Army ballast box.

1000001704.jpeg

Jasonized

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3902, LA526, box scraper, grapple, pallet forks, tree ripper, lane shark 3
May 16, 2023
California coast
I have one of those, but I only used it one time when I felled a tree when I first got our cottage.

I used it to jack up sections of log in order to keep the chainsaw blade out of the dirt.

View attachment 109114
Oh, that’s cool.. looks like something that grows over time…. Hmm, need this now. Better add it to my box! 🤔🤭😁

FTG-05

Equipment
L4330 w/FEL, RTV-XG850 and ZD326S
Jul 21, 2013
TN

View attachment 109114
Far easier, but far more expensive:

Reactions: 1 users

Jasonized

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3902, LA526, box scraper, grapple, pallet forks, tree ripper, lane shark 3
May 16, 2023
California coast
Far easier, but far more expensive:

Yep, do that too! I haven’t built a cutting stand yet (large “x” frame), to put the logs at a good height to work with. So I do what you did. Keeps the chain out of the dirt!
😎