Largest Mid mount mower capable tractor

rzide

Jun 21, 2016
Wv, USA
Hello all,

I have been searching the forum for a good while now narrowing down my next tractor purchase. I am looking for a tractor with a mid mount mower.

I have been leaning toward a 2650 with cab. I wanted the 3350 but the engine problems have scared me away. My question is, is there a larger tractor that will accept a mid mount mower? Id like to have more HP since I will be doing mostly hilly terrain.

Vraz

May 22, 2016
Stillwater, MN
A mid-mount-mower (MMM) takes very little HP. Its not like a rotary cutter or swinging a high-mass implement. Also note that a MMM is not designed to cut crazy high grass-- its more of a finish implement.

Took delivery of a B2601 w/60" MMM a couple weeks ago. Purely level ground, but cannot tell its attached. I use the B2601 primarily with a 48" rotary cutter taking down buckthorn. Even at well less than 540 (being gentle-- break in period), it crushes some very serious buckthorn without bogging in the least (and I am literally driving over it in many cases). Very happy with my purchase.

Though I did not do it myself, others have suggested asking the dealer to bring out a demo unit. If moving if your primary task, then no reason they should not. Best of luck.

rzide

Jun 21, 2016
Wv, USA
I would agree that a mower alone would not task the tractor to terribly much. But, Im worried with the cab and A/C, mowing mostly hills, that when added together it would be slightly underpowered. Not saying it wouldn't do it but it would just take a good bit more time. Im afraid that I would not be able to utilize the Medium setting on the HST, which is a huge selling point for me over other brands.

I think the 3350 is perfect for my needs but the engine troubles scare me to the point I don't think I could use it without worrying about it.

eng1886trk

Equipment
2016 B2650, 60" bucket, QH15, RB1572, LR1572, BB1260, 42" forks
Mar 9, 2016
Lancaster, PA
I purchased a 2650 ROPS a few months ago and only hit the 30 hour mark this past weekend. I will say that I have ran out of traction several times and have never needed more power doing a wide variety of projects. Additionally, based off the loads I have moved, coupled with the fact that my rear tires are loaded, a 2650 will be more than fine.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
I have over 330 hrs on my B2650 and using 60'' mmm, 72'' box blade, 72'' 3pt finish mower or 72'' rototiller have never come close to running out of power. I think you will be fine with that set up.

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
Coworkers B3200 has a 72" mmm. Handful of L machines can run a 72" mmm, if they have the mid pto option anyway....

tempforce

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Jun 23, 2012
bastrop, tx
i have a B3350 with the 72" mower. i don't think you would ever have a problem with the B2650 with the same mower.
the only times I've been under powered is when roto-tilling damp ground deep. or using the 16" plow deep. (be careful if you get a 16" plow, as you can go too deep and end up with a furrow that is so deep that you can tip over).
most of my implements were purchased when i bought the L3300. so my plow and tiller are larger than recommended for the B.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
i have a B3350 with the 72" mower. i don't think you would ever have a problem with the B2650 with the same mower.
the only times I've been under powered is when roto-tilling damp ground deep. or using the 16" plow deep. (be careful if you get a 16" plow, as you can go too deep and end up with a furrow that is so deep that you can tip over).
most of my implements were purchased when i bought the L3300. so my plow and tiller are larger than recommended for the B.
Sorry to go off on a tangent. but I'm curious.
Why the change from a L to a B?

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Hello all,

I have been searching the forum for a good while now narrowing down my next tractor purchase. I am looking for a tractor with a mid mount mower.

I have been leaning toward a 2650 with cab. I wanted the 3350 but the engine problems have scared me away. My question is, is there a larger tractor that will accept a mid mount mower? Id like to have more HP since I will be doing mostly hilly terrain.
The L3560 has directions for the use of a mid mount PTO in the manual. I do not have one so can't comment on using it to mow, but it is bigger and although tier 4 with dpf doesn't have the problems of the B3350. It has an entirely different engine and regen setup.

rzide

Jun 21, 2016
Wv, USA
Well, sounds like the general agreement is the HP won't be an issue. The only reason I ask is because I have been using my fathers 31hp turbo diesel ventrac and at times it seems like its slightly under powered. Mostly when operating the hydros for turning while in uneven terrain.

Now, to find the best price on a 2650 w/ cab! Thanks all, love the site!