La450 fel cylinder kit?

wblack

Equipment
L2550 4WD with Loader
Oct 6, 2013
CHARLOTTE
Hey guys,

I am trying to find an illustrated parts list for the subject FEL. I need to rebuild all four cylinders. Does anyone know how to find it?

It's hard navigating Kubotas documents; haven't had any luck there, maybe I just don't know how to search it well enough.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Wes

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Re: La450 fel cynilder kit?

Unfortunately like 99.9% of all bulletin boards you can't search for 3 letter combinations. So searching bulletin boards for FEL won't help. Search "Cylinder" and "Cylinders" maybe along "Loader" and "La450" might help.

If recall right, around here folk just take them to a hydraulic shop for rebuild or to have the shop put together a set of parts for the person to rebuild it themselves. Often a lot cheaper than going thru a local Tractor Repair/Parts shop.

wblack

Equipment
L2550 4WD with Loader
Oct 6, 2013
CHARLOTTE

thanks coachgeo. i wished to have the parts in hand when we tear the cylinders down. i guess we may have to tear one down and take it to a shop to match parts.

wblack

Equipment
L2550 4WD with Loader
Oct 6, 2013
CHARLOTTE

Took one of each cylinder off this afternoon and removed all the internals. I am happy to say that everything regarding the shafts and cylinders looked brand new. And why the one was leaking is obvious, the last or outer seal was dry-rotted.

There was slight wear on one of the guides inside, glad they're aluminum! My Dad will take everything to our local hydraulic shop in the morn and buy the replacement gaskets and o-rings.

Is there anything that I should keep in mind or do as we rebuild. This is the first time either of us has rebuilt one? Seems pretty cut and dry; but I am wondering what you guys use to lubricate the parts as we rebuild and how do you make sure everything is clean leaving no grit.

Thanks in advance!

hank2000

Equipment
Kabota L3000F
Aug 27, 2016
louisville
Just make sure there is no grit in or on anything. I make fork lifts for a living big fork lifts. And we use STP on the packing to put them together. Just be careful not to pinch anything and u should be ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WHMetalSmith

Premium Member

Equipment
Kubota L2050 4whd with LA450S loader
Dec 22, 2020
Raleigh, NC
I’m rebuilding the bucket cylinders on my LA450S loader. Got the cylinder off. I need help with how to remove the end of the cylinder - there are two holes in the end - is a special spanner required to remove it, can I use a pipe wrench without hurting the function (I know it’ll make it ugly).
image.jpg

ruger1980

Equipment
L4310 w/La682, L225
Oct 25, 2020
CNY
Yes you can use a pipe wrench but it will make it ugly as you say. The only issue is it may not spin the gland out if it is stuck too tight. A lttle heat on the barrel may help if it does not move.
Also do not clamp the barrel in the vise too tightly and when trying to turn the gland. Clamp the pin boss at the end of the cylinder.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Yes you can use a pipe wrench but it will make it ugly as you say. The only issue is it may not spin the gland out if it is stuck too tight. A lttle heat on the barrel may help if it does not move.
Also do not clamp the barrel in the vise too tightly and when trying to turn the gland. Clamp the pin boss at the end of the cylinder.
I haven't done a loader cylinder, but I found the easiest way to hold the head end on my backhoe cylinders was to reinstall that end with the pin. Actually, after the first couple I loosened the head before taking the cylinder off.
Somebody on here made an adjustable pin wrench. I'll try to find it.

Here it is. Post #16. This thread also shows a set of tools that are handy for installing the rod seal.

Last edited:

PapaJ

Equipment
BX2680 - PFL1242 - RCK54 MMM - Fimco 3PH Sprayer - Trailer Mover
Apr 28, 2020
VA
I've did a few hundred cylinder rebuilds on old John Deere and Hyster fork trucks when I was in the Air Force. I used a ginormous pipe wrench. We had spanner wrenches, but they didn't work as good most times, and our vehicles were all assigned to Civil Engineering or munitions, who was going to trash them as soon as they got them, so no need to have them looking pretty.

WHMetalSmith

Premium Member

Equipment
Kubota L2050 4whd with LA450S loader
Dec 22, 2020
Raleigh, NC
I've did a few hundred cylinder rebuilds on old John Deere and Hyster fork trucks when I was in the Air Force. I used a ginormous pipe wrench. We had spanner wrenches, but they didn't work as good most times, and our vehicles were all assigned to Civil Engineering or munitions, who was going to trash them as soon as they got them, so no need to have them looking pretty.
Thanks, I used a pipe wrench and got it off.