L60 Mid-PTO Install

eiresurg

Apr 30, 2019
Central, MN
I have a L3560HSTC and wondering if installing the mid-PTO is a DIY job? I see an old thread from 2014 where this was done, but the pictures are no longer available. Additionally, it was a completely different machine. Has anyone done this? What types of tools and know-how did you need?

Looks like I can get all the parts at Messick's.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Not hard. I installed the 540-1000 kit on my M9. They come with instructions. I'm sure it's not cheap.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have a L3560HSTC and wondering if installing the mid-PTO is a DYI job? I see an old thread from 2014 where this was done, but the pictures are no longer available. Additionally, it was a completely different machine. Has anyone done this? What types of tools and know-how did you need?

Looks like I can get all the parts at Messick's.
I'm not sure on that model, some have to be split to install the internal gear some do not.

eiresurg

Apr 30, 2019
Central, MN
Not hard. I installed the 540-1000 kit on my M9. They come with instructions. I'm sure it's not cheap.
$600-700.

I see the kit comes with a manual. From what I have read about installs on other models, it sounds pretty simple aside from the 15 gallons of fluid pouring out that has to be refilled. The only other issue that may come up is there is no gasket between the PTO case and rear axle housing, so RTV has to be used. Sounds like it's a real nuisance to get all the hydraulic fluid cleaned off well enough to get the RTV to stick.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
No split necessary. The cab models have the internals already installed based on what I have read. Otherwise, I wouldn't even consider doing this myself.
The L6060 cab models do, indeed, have the internal shaft installed at the factory but I am not sure that all L models do.

I would strongly advise that you verify this.

Be advised that your dealer may well not know but will be able to get a definitive answer from Kubota if they want to do so.

SDT

eiresurg

Apr 30, 2019
Central, MN
The L6060 cab models do, indeed, have the internal shaft installed at the factory but I am not sure that all L models do.

I would strongly advise that you verify this.

Be advised that your dealer may well not know but will be able to get a definitive answer from Kubota if they want to do so.

SDT
Good point!! I'll verify this. That'd be a real bummer to get the kit and take that cover off, spill all the fluid and find no gear!

UPDATE:
Kubota confirmed that internals are pre-installed.

Last edited:

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
When checking with the dealer make certain to talk with the sales department and not parts. The mid PTO kit is a Wholegoods item and the details of what is needed can be found in the wholegoods document.

Please note the attachments are from a 2 year old wholegoods document, so the information may be superseded.

The Grand L30's and L40' use to include the internal gear on all cab models and on ROP models 40HP and under. It looks like this practice has changed for the Grand L60's.

Hopefully the attachments will be of some value.

Good luck!

Attachments

eiresurg

Apr 30, 2019
Central, MN
When checking with the dealer make certain to talk with the sales department and not parts. The mid PTO kit is a Wholegoods item and the details of what is needed can be found in the wholegoods document.

Please note the attachments are from a 2 year old wholegoods document, so the information may be superseded.

The Grand L30's and L40' use to include the internal gear on all cab models and on ROP models 40HP and under. It looks like this practice has changed for the Grand L60's.

Hopefully the attachments will be of some value.

Good luck!
Well, that's really helpful! Thank you! My model is the L3560HSTC. So, according to those documents, the internal gear (cassette) should be there. My tractor is a 2017 so those documents should be applicable. I found the same info via Google. Didn't know to look for a wholegoods price list. In the illustrated parts catalog I saw "W/G no. L8387" and didn't know what that was--Wholegoods! So, you say I should go to the sales person and tell him I want to order L8387? Hope it's that simple.