L3940 bogging down

josh_stanton84

Equipment
L3940 HST
Jun 6, 2024
Lee massachusetts
Hello. Im new to the forum and also a new to me owner of a 2012 l3940 hst. It drives fine and has good power in low. If i out the hst in m or h it wont go up a hill at all. Fuel filter is clean. What else should i check?

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
3rd range on most tractors is good for level running or downhill,. I drove a number of different brands in the 40-is HP range when shopping several years ago and they were very similar in that respect. Unless you have some very steep hills, you should be able to do hills in MED.

And if you're not familiar with HST's easing up on the go pedal helps when climbing a grade.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Josh,

Welcome to the forum !

Couple of quick questions:

What RPM you going up these hill in M and in H?

What would you say the grade is going up these hills?

On thing you need to understand - the HST pedal is not a "gas" pedal - rather it allows more fluid to pass between the valves. So when you step on it hard and then all the fluid is "trying" to get through the system it will bog down a good bit. HST is a learning curve of sorts. Easy on and easy off.

When you say it will not go up the hill - does the machine just stall? RPM's drop? or rpms stay and machine does not move? or???

josh_stanton84

Equipment
L3940 HST
Jun 6, 2024
Lee massachusetts
Josh,

Welcome to the forum !

Couple of quick questions:

What RPM you going up these hill in M and in H?

What would you say the grade is going up these hills?

On thing you need to understand - the HST pedal is not a "gas" pedal - rather it allows more fluid to pass between the valves. So when you step on it hard and then all the fluid is "trying" to get through the system it will bog down a good bit. HST is a learning curve of sorts. Easy on and easy off.

When you say it will not go up the hill - does the machine just stall? RPM's drop? or rpms stay and machine does not move? or???
thanks for the response. The grade of the hill isn’t that steep that I would think it should be an issue. I do know that I was pushing the pedal all the way down so that could be an issue. I’m coming from a 97 John Deere 27 hp tractor with manual transmission so the hat is new to me.
The tractor will not down and come to a stop and if I hold the pedal down it will puff black smoke and stall out. I will be at work for the next couple of days but Saturday I’ll try the grade again and not push the pedal all the way and see how it goes.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I would check the hydraulic fluid level, and unless you have service records, also consider changing the hydraulic filters.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hello. Im new to the forum and also a new to me owner of a 2012 l3940 hst. It drives fine and has good power in low. If i out the hst in m or h it wont go up a hill at all. Fuel filter is clean. What else should i check?
First off set engine RPM up around tje 540 PTO mark on the tach.

You are not going to go up a hill of any significance in Hi range. My L3901 cant pull any sort of grade even on open higjway.

You should be able to pull a pretty steep grade in mid-range but if you "floor" the HST pedal you will stall the engine. If you sense loss pf power you dont push down harder - you ease up and throttle up.

The Grand L40 also has some electronic auto throttle and HST range management features you need to familiarize yourself with. The owners manual is your friend.

Dan

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users