L3901 Rear Ag Tire Tread Width

SmokeyBear20252

Equipment
Kubota L3901 HST 4WD
Aug 29, 2012
Hildebran, NC
Hi,

A couple of weeks ago, I upgraded from a B7610 to an L3901. Before the new one left the lot, I told them to change the R4 tires to R1. When they delivered the tractor, I noticed that it seems to be set to the most narrow width (around 44" center to center on the rear tires). In addition to my concerns about the stability of the tractor (I have some fairly steep grades) I also noticed that there's not much clearance between the tires and the telescoping stabilizer arms. According to the owner's manual, the rear tire tread width for the R1 tires is adjustable in 3 increments. The middle setting of about 47" would be fine for me. However, the manual offers no detailed instruction on exactly how to adjust the width, only telling you to loosen the rim and/or disc lugs. Has anyone had any experience with this and if so, what needs to be done?

On a side note, I've tried to search the forum for related threads and I have happened across a few suggestions regarding the orientation of the wheel (dish in vs
dish out). Strangely enough, my dishes are already configured with the deep side to the outside yet there's only 44" between the center of each tire.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Should have 2 piece rear wheels. If you dealer is worth trading with they should make it right for you at no charge since you just bought it. Might even want to inquire about fluid filling the rears for extra traction and stability as well.

SmokeyBear20252

Equipment
Kubota L3901 HST 4WD
Aug 29, 2012
Hildebran, NC
Thanks for answering up, Bulldog. I have think I have the two piece rim if you mean that the wheel separates from the dish. There are four bolts that look like they would allow that. Then of course, the fish is mounted to the gray plate which is attached to the axle. Maybe I can snap a photo or two and upload them tomorrow. A guy here at work says he thinks I could just remove the wheels from each side and swap them around and gain around 3" of total width. Again, I'll get some photos tonight which may better explain things. And by the way, I had them to fill the tires so we're good to go there.

SmokeyBear20252

Equipment
Kubota L3901 HST 4WD
Aug 29, 2012
Hildebran, NC
Thanks for the reply and photos, Pat.

I think I'm understanding this a little better now. It looks like the inner part of the rim is not exactly centered which means the outer part can be configured in one of two different ways depending on which side of the tractor it's attached. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that only the outer part of the rim, which is held in place by 4 bolts will have to be removed.

I took some photos this morning which show my current configuration. According to my measurements, it's close to 44" center to center right now. I would be very happy with an additional 3" overall, which appears to be about what I'd get if I rotate the rims.

Last edited:

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Yes to widen your wheel spacing, leave the centers like they are. Unbolt the rim from the center and swap the wheels from one side of the tractor to the other. That will put it so you bolt up to the centers so the rim is out further and the tire tread is going in the correct direction.

SmokeyBear20252

Equipment
Kubota L3901 HST 4WD
Aug 29, 2012
Hildebran, NC
Thanks, BAP. A guy here at work has offered to help me with the project but since I just bought the tractor a couple of weeks ago, I'm hoping the dealer will send someone out to take care of it. I'm kind of puzzled why they would set it to such a narrow width given that it came with a front end loader.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
The tech putting the tires on probably didn't even pay attention to that. Just made sure the tread was going the right direction.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Smokeybear, if that's your tractor in the pics it's already set to the max width. If you swap the wheels around it will narrow it instead.

If you want it to feel more stable put fluid in your tires. Made a night and day difference in my L3000.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Smokeybear, if that's your tractor in the pics it's already set to the max width. If you swap the wheels around it will narrow it instead.

If you want it to feel more stable put fluid in your tires. Made a night and day difference in my L3000.
Actually it looks like he could go wider. ;)
Swap the rims side to side and bolt the centers to the inside of the farthest inside tab. that will move it out even more. :D

While this is not your tractor model it gives you a complete picture of the ways to space it.

Attachments

Last edited:

SmokeyBear20252

Equipment
Kubota L3901 HST 4WD
Aug 29, 2012
Hildebran, NC
Thanks for the help, guys. Over the weekend, we swapped sides and gained about 7" of tread width. The center to center measurement is now about 51". :)

Before and after pictures here for comparison.

Last edited:

Fractal

Equipment
L2501
Dec 27, 2016
Billings, Mt
I got a pleasant surprise yesterday when I asked the dealer about wheel spacers to widen the stance on my l2501, and he explained to me about how you can adjust the R1 wheels for width to 4 different settings. I thought I was going to have to buy spacers, but not the case! :) Pretty happy about that since I didn't even think about it when we bought it. He also said the ag tires are much better than the R4's that were installed on it when we picked it up (I made the R1's part of the purchase) from the standpoint that they strongly recommend that chains not be used on the R4's. Cant remember what he said the reason was, but I'm sure someone here knows. Glad I went with the R1's because we have mud a lot of the year.

Last edited: