L3901 Added rear remote with 3rd function kit, remote only moves attachment a few inches.

sssnarl

Equipment
L3901 /w LA525
Dec 2, 2021
Deer Park, WI
Hi!

I am hoping someone knows where I went wrong here. I have an L3901 that came from the dealer with a 3rd function kit (landpride). I bought the Kubota kit to add a rear remote to the tractor and a spring center valve. I plumbed it in series with the 3rd function so looped it through and back as the kit for the remote wants to use the same power/return lines as the 3rd function kit. Unfortunately even thought this has to be a very common configuration there are no documents for install for these together it seams (Loader, 3rd function, and a set of rear remotes).

I have it all together and loader, grapple, 3pt, etc.. everything works great. BUT the rear remotes do NOT I am trying to run the hydraulics for a landpride GR1525 sump grinder and I can cycle between lift and swing cylinders on the diverter (came with the grinder from the dealer) but the lift will move several inches either way and then the tractor makes the noise like its blocked or hydro is trying really hard. swing does not move only moves half an inch. If I swap the cylinders on the back of the diverter the behavior is reversed, the lift will not move just twitch and the swing moves a few inches either way.

is the way I have the remotes installed OK?

Loader block -> 3rd function -> remote -> tank (PB return where the 3rd function previously was hooked to.)

Remote part numbers:
L7211B
L7231A

I feel like there is some other configuration that is supposed to happen here and I just over simplified the connection as I figured if the 3rd function was looped in the PB then I should just be able to chain this on the same connection as this should be equivalent to the connection that they intended.

I think the problem is at the inverter but if that was the case why does it work at all? can you install a needle valve backwards? other than that I don't know what I could have done wrong. I have attached a few pics of the tractor and the stump grinder maybe you guys will have something for me to look at or to go to. I am trying to understand this for myself as I would like to know what I did wrong here.

thank you in advance :)

remotes-1.png

remotes-2.png

20220418_125611.jpg

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hi!

I am hoping someone knows where I went wrong here. I have an L3901 that came from the dealer with a 3rd function kit (landpride). I bought the Kubota kit to add a rear remote to the tractor and a spring center valve. I plumbed it in series with the 3rd function so looped it through and back as the kit for the remote wants to use the same power/return lines as the 3rd function kit. Unfortunately even thought this has to be a very common configuration there are no documents for install for these together it seams (Loader, 3rd function, and a set of rear remotes).

I have it all together and loader, grapple, 3pt, etc.. everything works great. BUT the rear remotes do NOT I am trying to run the hydraulics for a landpride GR1525 sump grinder and I can cycle between lift and swing cylinders on the diverter (came with the grinder from the dealer) but the lift will move several inches either way and then the tractor makes the noise like its blocked or hydro is trying really hard. swing does not move only moves half an inch. If I swap the cylinders on the back of the diverter the behavior is reversed, the lift will not move just twitch and the swing moves a few inches either way.

is the way I have the remotes installed OK?

Loader block -> 3rd function -> remote -> tank (PB return where the 3rd function previously was hooked to.)

Remote part numbers:
L7211B
L7231A

I feel like there is some other configuration that is supposed to happen here and I just over simplified the connection as I figured if the 3rd function was looped in the PB then I should just be able to chain this on the same connection as this should be equivalent to the connection that they intended.

I think the problem is at the inverter but if that was the case why does it work at all? can you install a needle valve backwards? other than that I don't know what I could have done wrong. I have attached a few pics of the tractor and the stump grinder maybe you guys will have something for me to look at or to go to. I am trying to understand this for myself as I would like to know what I did wrong here.

thank you in advance :)

View attachment 78490

View attachment 78491
View attachment 78492
Elements of your description are confusing to me. Part of that may be semantics and part of that may be the odd way LandPride hooks up their 3rd function. Lets start with the kit for the remotes:

The adapter block for the remotes that bolts to the transmission has the pressure IN port on it. That port should be connected to the output from the third function valve.

Land Pride instructions for the third function valve have it hooked up "backwards". They tell you to connect the power beyond port on the loader to the T port on the third function and the P port on the third function goes to the implement return (upper left of the three) on the tractor hydraulic outlet block. Is that how your kit was installed? If so then the P port on the third function should now go to the IN port on the remote mounting block.

The outlet block in the end of the remote kit has the power beyond port in it. That port should go to the implement return port (upper left of the three) on the tractor hydraulic outlet block.

There is no external tank return on the remotes. That return is internal using the ports on the side of the transmission where the remotes are attached.

If that is what you have that much is correct and loader, 3rd function, remotes, and 3pt should all work.

Dan

sssnarl

Equipment
L3901 /w LA525
Dec 2, 2021
Deer Park, WI
Elements of your description are confusing to me. Part of that may be semantics and part of that may be the odd way LandPride hooks up their 3rd function. Lets start with the kit for the remotes:

The adapter block for the remotes that bolts to the transmission has the pressure IN port on it. That port should be connected to the output from the third function valve.

Land Pride instructions for the third function valve have it hooked up "backwards". They tell you to connect the power beyond port on the loader to the T port on the third function and the P port on the third function goes to the implement return (upper left of the three) on the tractor hydraulic outlet block. Is that how your kit was installed? If so then the P port on the third function should now go to the IN port on the remote mounting block.

The outlet block in the end of the remote kit has the power beyond port in it. That port should go to the implement return port (upper left of the three) on the tractor hydraulic outlet block.

There is no external tank return on the remotes. That return is internal using the ports on the side of the transmission where the remotes are attached.

If that is what you have that much is correct and loader, 3rd function, remotes, and 3pt should all work.

Dan
Thank you for looking at this with me ;-)

YES this is exactly how its hooked up. I have gone over it several times and can not find the reason the grinder hydro cylinders will not work...

I have thought about backing the tractor up and plugging the cylinders up to the remotes directly and bypass the diverter but I don't think they are the problem as the problem follows the port on the diverter which ever one is hooked up to it.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thank you for looking at this with me ;-)

YES this is exactly how its hooked up. I have gone over it several times and can not find the reason the grinder hydro cylinders will not work...

I have thought about backing the tractor up and plugging the cylinders up to the remotes directly and bypass the diverter but I don't think they are the problem as the problem follows the port on the diverter which ever one is hooked up to it.
OK - so do I have this right - everything is working except the swing and lift cylinders on the implement? They are controlled by your one and only remote valve which is hooked into a diverter that switches it between the two implement cylinders? If that is correct I would suspect the diverter plumbing is the the problem.

Dan

sssnarl

Equipment
L3901 /w LA525
Dec 2, 2021
Deer Park, WI
OK - so do I have this right - everything is working except the swing and lift cylinders on the implement? They are controlled by your one and only remote valve which is hooked into a diverter that switches it between the two implement cylinders? If that is correct I would suspect the diverter plumbing is the the problem.

Dan
Yes that is the issue, the cyls on the grinder are not moving properly. I have plumbed it based on the land pride install instructions and checked/rechecked that its right based on what they tell me. The lift moves a little bit. it moves and sounds normal for about 6 inches or so then makes a noise like its blocked or stopped then go the other way same deal. swing doesn't move at all just twitches. if i swap them on the diverter block the behavior follows the port on the diverter not the cyl.

is it possible the LP instructions are just bogus and the plumbing should be different?

sssnarl

Equipment
L3901 /w LA525
Dec 2, 2021
Deer Park, WI
OK went and got a new diverter from the dealer. works great now! thank you for your time was so helpful for me to double check my math with another :)

tree stumps BEWARE!!! 🤪😜

Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
OK went and got a new diverter from the dealer. works great now! thank you for your time was so helpful for me to double check my math with another :)

tree stumps BEWARE!!! 🤪😜
You are welcome!! I will be interested in hearing how that grinder performs. I have been considering a Woodland Mills which is a somewhat unique design.

Dan

juppgren

Equipment
L39 TLB, Land Pride GR1525, ZD21, RCK60P
Jun 3, 2024
minnesota

tree stumps BEWARE!!! 🤪😜
I have the same problem as you, using only the Kubota remote valves. What I cant see from your images is how the grinder is fed from the valves. Which diverter valve did you replace? ii have a new post on L39 hydraulis that has my pics. Like you were, I am stuck and would love some guidance. Thanks

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I have the same problem as you, using only the Kubota remote valves. What I cant see from your images is how the grinder is fed from the valves. Which diverter valve did you replace? ii have a new post on L39 hydraulis that has my pics. Like you were, I am stuck and would love some guidance. Thanks
He had an L3901 and you have an L39.

It helps if you tell us what you have hooked up on your tractor and we troubleshoot that.

Dan

juppgren

Equipment
Jun 3, 2024
minnesota
He had an L3901 and you have an L39.

It helps if you tell us what you have hooked up on your tractor and we troubleshoot that.

Dan
Dan -

L39 TLB with Kubota 3 valve remote (Part # L9553). Land Pride Stump Grinder GR1525. Loader is present and BH removed.
Hydraulic power is being fed to the LP block valve through (2) hoes PI, P2.
When attempting to test the lift and swing functions, here what happens:
1). The swing ram bumps an inch or so when the control lever is applied in either direction. Electronic switch is set to Swing (vs Lift). Red light is on, signifying power.
2) When switched to Lift, with control lever applied, the swing ram bumps. Lift ram no motion.
3). when switching between Lift and Swing, there is no discernable feeling in the solenoid in the LP valve block.
Pics attached.

Attachments

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Dan -

L39 TLB with Kubota 3 valve remote (Part # L9553). Land Pride Stump Grinder GR1525. Loader is present and BH removed.
Hydraulic power is being fed to the LP block valve through (2) hoes PI, P2.
When attempting to test the lift and swing functions, here what happens:
1). The swing ram bumps an inch or so when the control lever is applied in either direction. Electronic switch is set to Swing (vs Lift). Red light is on, signifying power.
2) When switched to Lift, with control lever applied, the swing ram bumps. Lift ram no motion.
3). when switching between Lift and Swing, there is no discernable feeling in the solenoid in the LP valve block.
Pics attached.
Got it. I could help you diagnose that but you have three remotes. I see no reason for using the diverter. It simply makes it harder to control the implement. Who decided you needed it?

Dan

Last edited:

juppgren

Equipment
Jun 3, 2024
minnesota
Got it. I could jelp you diagnose that but you have three remotes. I see no reason for using the diverter. It simply makes it harder to control the implement. Who decided you needed it?

Dan
Thanks for your reply...

I posed that very question to the service guy at the dealer who sold me the unit...he wasn't very convincing, but said something about the "way it's designed" etc.
Based on your reply, I just need to get hoses to and from each ram and connect them into the remotes while keeping the needle valves in each circuit to regulate the flow to the right level, correct?
Does it matter which side of the ram the needle valves should be placed?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thanks for your reply...

I posed that very question to the service guy at the dealer who sold me the unit...he wasn't very convincing, but said something about the "way it's designed" etc.
Based on your reply, I just need to get hoses to and from each ram and connect them into the remotes while keeping the needle valves in each circuit to regulate the flow to the right level, correct?
Your understanding is dead on and the sales guy was clueless.

The needle valves have to flow both directions so they can go on either side of the cylinder circuit.

Dan

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thanks for your reply...

I had a look at the owners manual and it has two hookup sections.

One is for the single remote with diverter and the other is for dual remotes and no diverter. The dual remote bundle has a bulkhead mount for the needle valves and hose unions. It replaces the diverter mount.

Dan

juppgren

Equipment
Jun 3, 2024
minnesota
I had a look at the owners manual and it has two hookup sections.

One is for the single remote with diverter and the other is for dual remotes and no diverter. The dual remote bundle has a bulkhead mount for the needle valves and hose unions. It replaces the diverter mount.

Dan
I should have noticed that in the manual but was so focussed on getting it to work I blew right by it.
I did bypass the diverter last night and low and behold, everything works great, so thanks for pushing me in the right direction!

Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I should have noticed that in the manual but was so focussed on getting it to work I blew right by it.
I did bypass the diverter last night and low and behold, everything works great, so thanks for pushing me in the right direction!
Did not take much of a push 😀

Dan

Reactions: 1 users