L3830 steering problem

philztoy

Equipment
L3830, IH695, Deere 4720Cab 3720Cab 4320 4200 450C 790, R Z and Jetstar Molines
Dec 1, 2014
Michigan
I started the L3830 HST Kubota to move it out of the barn. Let it warm up then shut it down. When I went back an hour later to put it back in the barn the power steering was out (and there wasn't much manual steering either). Glad it was mostly a straight shot. The steering seemed to work a little better when the HST pedal was pushed down if that means anything. But it isn't the usual effortless steering.

Is the power steering in this tractor part of the main HST hydraulic system or does it have a separate pump and reservoir? I am kind of assuming that it is a fluid level problem but the main reservoir seemed fine.

The dealer did recently add three hydraulic remotes so I suppose they might have lost some fluid with that.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Phil

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Phil,
Your tractor has full hydrostatic steering.
It runs off the second section of the main hydraulic pump (2 section pump) its connected to, but not the same section, as the three point and the remotes, it does share the same suction line and fluid reservoir so low fluid could cause issues.
Check the level of the fluid, I have found that air can get trapped in that system and make the steering hard till the sir is purged out.
Any more than that give the dealer a call as it's probably related to how they hooked up the remotes. ;)

tim62

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3830, BX2360, T1760
Aug 5, 2016
Essex Jct.
North Idaho Wolfman or anyone,

My L3830, HST (1050 hrs) developed steering issues yesterday afternoon shortly after start up. Outside temp was about 85 deg and dry. I made a sharp turn all the way to steering lock. Had a hard time returning to straight ahead driving. Steering feed back through wheel was choppy (power then none then power). Made a dash back to garage to check fluid levels and quick inspection. HST levels were normal, even checked front axle for gear oil and added about 1/2 quart. I went back out with tractor and steering seemed better while I did some brushhoging. Steering was not usual effort less but I got my work done.
The tractor is maintained and serviced every 100 hrs and last HST service was at 800 hrs. No issues otherwise.

If air in the system is not the issue what about valves on the HST system?

Thank you in advance.
Tim

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Tim,
HST is the transmission.
The steering is on the Hydraulic system, they are 2 separate / different systems, that just share the same fluid.

It could be a multitude of issues.
Air being sucked in before the pump.
Bad regulator valve.
Bad pump
Bad controller
Bad shaft joints from steering wheel to controller causing a bind.
Damaged, pinched or restricted lines
and least likely in this case, a bad steering cylinder.

I'll send you a link to download the WSM, see if that helps narrow it down.

TheJuice9269

Equipment
Kubota MX5100-(sold) / Kubota MX 5200-(sold) / Kubota MX5800
Oct 14, 2017
Freeland, MI, USA
Tim,
HST is the transmission.
The steering is on the Hydraulic system, they are 2 separate / different systems, that just share the same fluid.

It could be a multitude of issues.
Air being sucked in before the pump.
Bad regulator valve.
Bad pump
Bad controller
Bad shaft joints from steering wheel to controller causing a bind.
Damaged, pinched or restricted lines
and least likely in this case, a bad steering cylinder.

I'll send you a link to download the WSM, see if that helps narrow it down.
Hello,

Im chasing down a power steering problem with a Kubota L3830. It appears the back of the pump where the steering input shaft enters is where the leak is. Is this a refurbishable part (the pump) or is it only direct replacement? I called my local dealer and they’re quoting $1,700 for a new one.

(MOD EDIT: No email posting.)

Thanks in advance for your time/help!

Last edited by a moderator:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Hello,

Im chasing down a power steering problem with a Kubota L3830. It appears the back of the pump where the steering input shaft enters is where the leak is. Is this a refurbishable part (the pump) or is it only direct replacement? I called my local dealer and they’re quoting $1,700 for a new one.

(MOD EDIT: No email posting.)

Thanks in advance for your time/help!
You can have the steering controller rebuilt.