L3800HST, LA524 Loader, 5 FT Landpride

scrubbuck

Equipment
L3800HST
Nov 24, 2012
Mount Horeb, WI
I just purchased my Kubota and I love it. I was mowing in heavy conservation reserve grass in Medium range. Tractor overheated and instantly blew out the new block heater and spewed coolant all over. The tractor has 7 hours on it. When I checked the radiator screen It was plugged with dust and wetland grass. Cleaned it. What position is the block heater supposed to be in the dealer put it in the left side hole easy access. How is it retained in. I got a socket and tapped it back in cleaned radiator screen and mowed another 45 minutes with it no overheat now. Why didnt the hot light come on I never noticed the temp gauge even go up. Added coolant and reinstalled block heater works now. What else might be wrong? Thermostat? Radiator cap? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I sincerely doubt anything else is wrong. Sounds like it was poorly installed, but I'd expect the dealer to do a good job. I'd use it for the weekend, give him a call Monday, and ask for another load of antifreeze.
I find this disturbing. Since you didn't notice an increase in temperature, evidently it blew out with very little pressure. Did it explode out and shoot across the field, or just kind of fall out with the water?

Breeze

Equipment
L3700, Box Grader, 60" Bush Hog, Rear Grader Blade, York Rake, Boom Pole.
Dec 24, 2010
Virgin Islands
Ouch!

I have a 3700 and do a lot of bush hog work. You do need to keep a close eye on the screen and radiator for accumulated debris. If the temperature gage never went to hot, I doubt you overheated.

Sounds like the dealer needs to re-do the heater install?

roadracer86

Equipment
2012 ZD331, 2012 L3800, 2014 GL11000
Aug 19, 2012
New Bloomfield PA
Possibly an air pocket in the coolant system after the block heater install causing the coolant not to circulate. It could have built enough pressure blow out the block heater.

scrubbuck

Equipment
L3800HST
Nov 24, 2012
Mount Horeb, WI
Exploded out. The neighbor 500 yards across the field saw the smoke and ran all the way there with a fire extinguisher, thinking it was on fire. No sign of overheat till it blew out.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Does not sound good, but still sounds like a poor installation. They can do a pressure test of the cooling system; insist on it. Have them check the thermostat and temperature sender. I'd want a new heater, that doesn't explode out. FYI my block heater is also in the left rear. It does take a fair amount of heavy grass to get my temp indicator to move.

Breeze

Equipment
L3700, Box Grader, 60" Bush Hog, Rear Grader Blade, York Rake, Boom Pole.
Dec 24, 2010
Virgin Islands
Exploded out. The neighbor 500 yards across the field saw the smoke and ran all the way there with a fire extinguisher, thinking it was on fire. No sign of overheat till it blew out.
Any word from your dealer?