L3400 won't start. Safety switch. Help please!

sandbag3

Apr 6, 2012
crawfordville, fla
I have problem but it is not the seat switch because the PTO continues to rotate whether I am on the seat or not. What does hang up is the PTO safety hookup on the PTO lever itself ( right side of wheel). I disconnected the two wires and plugged them into themselves and it started right away now it doesn't turn over at all. The ignition lights and dash lights turn on with the key on but the engine does not turn over. Battery is good. It is hard to believe that two little wires control the whole contraption. Anyone have any ideas on what to do next?

Photo:confused:s would be appreciated.

JoshMcD

Jan 5, 2015
Waxahachie, Tx
The issue would not be in your PTO switch if you have it plugged into each other. With the wires plugged into each other you have the tractor thinking that the PTO is always disengaged, therefore it will start with the PTO engaged. The issue is most likely another safety switch. Is your 3400 a hydrostat or standard shift transmission? The other switches to look for are on the clutch pedal, on the range shifter if it is a standard shift or one just above the center of the floor board if it is a hydrostat.

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3400DT W/ LA463 FEL and L235DT W/ BF400 Loader
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland
If it is a geared model, I had a problem once an it was being caused by the neutral safety switch on the High/Low/Reverse selector. Wiggle selector knob to make good positioning so that the little spring tabs make good contact. A little difficult to fiddle with the tabs, but adjustment can be made if necessary. That's my only experience with not starting so there are probably other possible answers.

Ron