L3400 won't start after trying to bleed fuel system.

nhinze

Equipment
BX2200, LA211, L3400
Apr 6, 2010
Central VA
I purchased a 2011 used L4300 4WD Manual with just 300 hours on it from my local Kubota dealer a few days ago. Happily bush hogged for 3 to 4 hours. Today, I started bush hogging another field and the tractor lost power and stalled suddenly on the first lap. I had about 1/8 of a tank left. I was able to start the engine again, but it would stall again under load.

I figured I ran the darn thing out of fuel on my first use even though the needle said about 1/8 of a tank left. I went to the gas station and got 5 gallon diesel and dumped it in there. Turned on the engine and let it idle for a few minutes until it sounded better. Then I tried to continue mowing, but I only made it down the hill and the tractor stalled as I made the turn.

I figured I needed to bleed the system. I turned the air vent cock to open. Ran the engine for 30 seconds and turned it off. Closed the air vent cock. Now, the engine will crank, but it won't turn on. Battery seems fine is giving out 12+ Volts. The dealer replaced all filters about 2 months ago.

Looking at the fuel filter it looks about half full. Is that how it is supposed to look? I have the feeling the tank had some gunk in it and my fuel lines are clogged.

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
At first read it sounded like you did not run out of fuel since it started up and idled fine and you were able to cut a little bit before it stalled.

I was thinking that maybe the seat switch is going bad (as you turn, your weight shifts on the seat and then the switch acts like no one is on the seat and shuts off tractor)

Or, like you suspect, there is some trash in the tank that is now clogging up the line. Can you remove the fuel line going into the filter and see if fuel runs out of it at steady rate? Does your model have an electric or mechanical fuel pump between the tank and the filter?

nhinze

Equipment
BX2200, LA211, L3400
Apr 6, 2010
Central VA
I just removed the fuel filter and there is black gunk dripping out of the fuel line. What now?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Sounds like algae. Drain and flush the tank out, new filter and start over with fresh fuel and fuel conditioner.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Treat your tank on the tractor and any storage tanks with Star Tron, weird name but work very well on water and algae issues. ;)

Hook

Equipment
L3240 with LA514 FEL, Box Blade, Howard Rotovator, All Purpose Plow, Sub Soiler
Jul 6, 2010
Jackson, Georgia
I had a similar issue with my Kubota RTV. The previous owner had used it very little the past year and the fuel in the tank was at least a year old. It ran fine until I ran the fuel down to about 1/4 of a tank. I filled with fresh fuel and not long after it started and died and would not restart. I checked the fuel filter and could see an air bubble in it. I disconnected the fuel line on the tank side of the fuel filter and no fuel came out. After blowing compressed air into the line I heard it break loose and diesel fuel poured out. I replaced the fuel filter and bled the lines and it restarted and ran fine. If it happens again I will drain and clean the fuel tank.

nhinze

Equipment
BX2200, LA211, L3400
Apr 6, 2010
Central VA
My dealership pickup the tractor today and is going to fix it up for free. I do appreciate good customer service.