L3301 Regeneration - When?

wfishtx

Equipment
Kubota L3301
Mar 24, 2015
Southeast, TX
I picked up my new L3301 back in March and sense then I've put 33 hours on it, as of yesterday afternoon, however the regeneration light has never come on (at least not to my knowledge).

I read somewhere that said after about 20-25 hours I should expect it and now that I'm at 33 hours, I'm a little concerned there could be an issue.

Furthermore, is it safe for me to assume that when the light comes on, it will stay on until I turn the motor off or I push the regeneration button and the process takes its course? If that is the case, then I can say for 100% certainty that its never come on. If it comes on for a short period of time and then goes off, then there's a small chance I may have missed it (I don't stare at the dash panel every second).

Is this something to be concerned with? I'm going to give the dealer a call as well, but wanted to see what others have experienced.

Thanks

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
This link, post no5, has some threads describing people's experiences with the regen in the 01 series.

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18025

Don't worry that you missed it! If you don't see the light, it goes on to another stage and beeps etc. It will let you know if it is not happy! On the other hand if you have always selected the permit regen button (or if it is the default state on yours), and you are always running somewhere above 2200 rpm, it may have done the regen while you were working. Since it is hot where you are, it may also go longer between regens if you work it hard.

There should be two tables in your operator's manual that describe the sequence of events for the lights, buzzers etc if you don't see the light and don't have the rpm up high enough.

Fro65

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301HST, LA525, BH77, LP tiller, LP grader box, LP blade, BX2380
Dec 30, 2014
NorthEast Indiana
My first regen occurred at 12 hours. This was during the winter and the tractor had only been run at low rpms up until then. I would start it and let it run at about 1500 rpms just to keep all systems up. The regen indicator light on the dash came on as well as the throttle up light. I increased rpms to about 2500 and the throttle up light went out. It ran about ten minutes and the regen was finished.

Second regen was at 50 hours. Between 12 and 50 hours, the tractor had been 'working' harder and ambient temps were much warmer. This time, I was backfilling a trench with the FEL. I saw the regen light come on but this time, no throttle up light. Again, ten minutes later, it was over.

On the second regen, had I not have seen the light come on, I would never have known it happened. I am now at 72 hours and have yet to see my third regen.

Moral of this story: Ambient temps and engine load (I.E exhaust temp) can drastically affect the frequency of the regeneration cycle. If the exhaust is hotter, the DPF is cleaning itself a little along the way and regen will be less frequent.

Bottom line: Don't fret about it. I did and needn't have. Like Sheepfarmer said, the tractor will let you know if it is not happy. If you don't notice the regen indicator, it will start beeping to get your attention.:)

Cal270

Equipment
4060 HSTC,LP1258,1672,1860,1672,ballast box,& HermanSupply fel snowplow
Jun 23, 2014
Mid-Michigan
If the 3301 has a PM % screen keep an eye on it.
When my tractor is at 95% or so I just leave the screen on then I know exactly when it will regenerate.

I run the tractor at least 2100-2200 rpm's and this seems to reduce the Regen frequency. Also keeps the tractor in its power band.

Once you go thru a few regen' sit is fairly seamless.

Have Fun !

wfishtx

Equipment
Kubota L3301
Mar 24, 2015
Southeast, TX
My first regen occurred at 12 hours. This was during the winter and the tractor had only been run at low rpms up until then. I would start it and let it run at about 1500 rpms just to keep all systems up. The regen indicator light on the dash came on as well as the throttle up light. I increased rpms to about 2500 and the throttle up light went out. It ran about ten minutes and the regen was finished.

Second regen was at 50 hours. Between 12 and 50 hours, the tractor had been 'working' harder and ambient temps were much warmer. This time, I was backfilling a trench with the FEL. I saw the regen light come on but this time, no throttle up light. Again, ten minutes later, it was over.

On the second regen, had I not have seen the light come on, I would never have known it happened. I am now at 72 hours and have yet to see my third regen.

Moral of this story: Ambient temps and engine load (I.E exhaust temp) can drastically affect the frequency of the regeneration cycle. If the exhaust is hotter, the DPF is cleaning itself a little along the way and regen will be less frequent.

Bottom line: Don't fret about it. I did and needn't have. Like Sheepfarmer said, the tractor will let you know if it is not happy. If you don't notice the regen indicator, it will start beeping to get your attention.:)
A lot less worried about it today than I was yesterday. I spoke to my dealer, he basically said the same thing that you're saying. Because I've been running it at the 540 PTO RPM for about 80% of its life thus far (shredding pasture), it has either gone through a cycle and I just didn't see the light or it hasn't done it yet.

My dealer believes it probably hasn't needed to go through the regen yet because of the warm temps outside while I'm running it and because I've been running it at higher RPMs for the majority of the time. To your point, its probably keeping itself cleaned out a little more than usual, which will take it longer to need to go through the regen. My dealer did say, the system is set up to auto-regen, so there's no buttons for me to push unless I want to stop it from going through the regen cycle.

Thank you all for you feedback and insight. I'm going to stop worrying about it and just keep on working the tractor. The thing is a beast by the way. ;)