L3301 dies suddenly

Kurt D

Equipment
L3301DT LA525 front end loader. 5' rotary cutter L245DT
Sep 13, 2016
Onalaska, TX, US
My 3301DT began dying suddenly a few months ago - about 220 hrs, & 4 yrs old.. Initially I cleaned out the water trap and changed the fuel filter but with subsequent failures began to notice it would happen after a couple hours of use. It takes about 1 hour in the heat of summer. Other red herrings were chased but turned out not to be consistent, like happening when fuel got down to 1/4 tank.
When it dies it's very sudden without sputtering or warning, like it's lost electrical. At one point I thought I had it figured out after holding the seat switch closed with a zip tie but yesterday it did it again. There are no error codes and the fuel pump runs when attempting to restart. No difference if I vent the fuel tank.
I'm beginning to think the electronics are overheating - some hairline crack in a component or solder joint that expands with heat. Coolant temperature is normal. It always restarts after a couple of hours of cool down.
Has anyone else had this problem or had this problem fixed by the dealer?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's possible that you have algae in the fuel tank and it's clogging up the works?

On older tractors I would suspect a bad fuel solenoid, but your tractor doesn't have one.

It is possible that some electrical component is failing but that's rather rare on these tractors.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
Since it is a DT, the only thing I could think that could be doing it is a loose PTO safety switch wire.

I had some problems with my L3901DT, it turned out to be something in the tank that covered the outlet. Have you taken the hose coming from the tank to the water separator off to see if you have good flow?

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
As the Wolfman suggested it could be algae. Start with the easy (cheap) approach and be sure you have good fuel flow from the tank. Call it a starting point and begin troubleshooting from there.