L3200 RAT-TAT-TAT noise, starts intermittently

Atlanta Panther

Equipment
Kubota L3200HST with Loaded R4 Tires, LA524 Loader and Quick Connect 66" bucket
Jun 15, 2013
Madison, Ga
So yesterday I'm going along cutting my pasture when I take a break to go to the bathroom. When I get back 10 minutes later and go to start the tractor I get a RAT-TAT-TAT noise and it won't start. I tried this about 10 times. Occasionally I got a second or so of normal start sound but it very quickly went to the RAT-TAT-TAT sound so I left it in the pasture and did some other chores. About two hours later I went back to the tractor and got the same RAT-TAT-TAT sound on the first turn of the key. On the second try though it started right up and I went ahead and finished cutting the pasture because I was afraid if I shut it down again it wouldn't start.

So all you experts out there, what do you think my problem might be? I'm thinking the starter is probably going bad but before I start swapping expensive parts out I'd check the thoughts of all of you. Let me add that it seems like the battery is fine but I will check on that again.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Just so it's clear - -

Is the engine NOT turning over/cranking when you get that sound, or is it cranking but not starting?

Atlanta Panther

Equipment
Kubota L3200HST with Loaded R4 Tires, LA524 Loader and Quick Connect 66" bucket
Jun 15, 2013
Madison, Ga
Just so it's clear - -

Is the engine NOT turning over/cranking when you get that sound, or is it cranking but not starting?
Its not turning over except once in a while where it seems as though it wants to turn over for a brief second then goes back to the RAT-TAT-TAT noise.

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
Could be a bad/old battery or loose/corroded battery connections. Simple stuff first. How old is the battery? Connections clean and tight?

Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Could be a bad/old battery or loose/corroded battery connections. Simple stuff first. How old is the battery? Connections clean and tight?
Yeah - if it’s not turning over I meant to add have the battery load tested and check connections just to rule those issues out at the outset.

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I read this to be the sound the starter makes with a bad battery or a bad connection to the battery or starter.

If possible you can troubleshoot it by using a known good (large CCA) battery and jumping to the battery terminals. If it cranks like normal then it is probably the battery is going out or not charging while tractor is running. If still making noise then connections or cables are bad.

You can also take the battery out and take it to your auto parts store and ask them to load test it.

Before you do much though if you can get it started see what the voltage across the battery terminals is reading at idle and then at high RPM (doesn’t have to be wide open throttle). If it doesn’t increase with RPM then you need to investigate the charging system (alternator and regulator?)

Reactions: 1 user

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
It can mean the starter isn't spinning fast enough, so the gear on the end of the starter isn't engaging with the flywheel. That makes a scratchy kind of rat-tat-tat noise.

What happens is that the starter is normally not engaged with the flywheel. When you turn the key the starter spins, and the gear on the end of the starter flys along the starter shaft till it engages with the flywheel. If the starter isn't spinning fast enough, or sometimes if some other things are wrong, the gear doesn't engage. Then it makes a kind of grinding noise.

Shadetree605

Equipment
kubota b2100
May 1, 2022
north little rock, ar
Bendix on starter is what the noise is. as why its doing it ?..could be a bad starter ?..weak battery ?, worn bendex gear ?. hard to say. load test the battery, if battery is good ?..check all the cables. if those are good ?, then dig into the starter itself.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
wiggle the hst pedal from neutral to forward, then back to reverse (SLOWLY) while holding the key. Does it start somewhere in between? If yes, the HST neutral switch is likely failing.