L3200 HST Rear PTO Issue

l3200

Equipment
L3200 HST
May 7, 2015
Arkansas
Recently purchased an L3200 HST and have been reading and enjoying the forums. I've tried searching and have read a lot.

Let me start by saying this tractor has less then 2 hrs on it. The other day I was bush hogging in a field (no stumps or anything hard) and broke the shear pin on the bush hog. I went to the local dealership and got a handful of shear pins (grade 5 instead of the original grade 2) and installed one, and got ready to bush hog again, but when I engage the rear pto, nothing happens.

It doesn't make noise, doesn't grind, doesn't engage... like I mentioned earlier, I didn't hit anything hard. It almost leads me to believe that its in the pto engage cable... but Im not sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Just to clarify, when you remove the drive shaft from the brush hog to the pto, is the pto turning? Another person or mirror to see it. If it does not, then it is likely an adjustment on the pto lever / cable.

I've found that the shear bolts last longer by slowly engaging the clutch at the lowest rpm, and then increasing power.

l3200

Equipment
L3200 HST
May 7, 2015
Arkansas
Started raining right after work, So I didn't get a chance to do much with it. I undone the rear pto, when I engage the rear pto nothing happens, no grinding, no noise, no movement. With the tractor off, when I disengage the lever I can spin the rear pto freely, with it engaged it won't rotate.

This is an hst model, and as far as I can tell the cable isnt bunching, it seems to be working properly.

thanks for the help.

beckmurph

Equipment
Kubota LX2610TLB/Woods finish mower/woods rotary cutter/
Aug 23, 2012
catlettsburg, ky
By using a harder bolt (gr5 instead of gr2), you are taking a chance on breaking something other than a shear pin.

If you were only cutting grass or weeds, what broke the shear pin?

Is this a new brush cutter, or one you have had for a while?

l3200

Equipment
L3200 HST
May 7, 2015
Arkansas
All of it is brand new, New tractor, New Bush hog... 2 hours on the tractor. I'm pretty sure I had the bush hog to low while going over some hilly areas and it caught the ground, there is nothing else in the middle of the field, nothing to hit except dirt.

beckmurph

Equipment
Kubota LX2610TLB/Woods finish mower/woods rotary cutter/
Aug 23, 2012
catlettsburg, ky
Is there a slip clutch on your mower?

What brand and model of mower do you have?

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Welcome to OTT L3200 from Alabama. If your bush hog calls for a gr2 then using a gr5 could not only cause more problems but it will void the warranty.

Last edited: