L3200 HST - Hydraulic Fluid Amount?

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Hi to all I'm new on here and looking for a little help. I just serviced my L3200 HST 2011 tractor and did the hydraulic filters (both replaced) and replaced the fluid. I don't have an original owners manual but followed the fluid capacity shown in a L3200 owners manual (non HST) of 7.2 gal. When I look for my fluid level in the sight glass I see nothing. I'm coming to the conclusion that I may have overfilled the tractor with the super UDT2 kubota fluid.

Can anyone confirm the actual amount of fluid stated in the owners manual for a L3200 HST 4WD model?

Anyone know where I can get an owners model for the HST L3200, I'm realizing that the manual I have is for just a L3200 with manual transmission.

Many thanks.

rademamj1

Nov 30, 2019
Waco,Texas
There is a difference in hydraulic fluid capacity between L3200 Gear and L3200 HST tractors. You may indeed have overfill. See attached specs from TractorData regarding the L3200. See transmission oil capacity is listed.

Gear capacity= 7.3 gals
HST capacity= 6.2 gals

TractorData.com Kubota L3200 tractor information
http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/005/8/6/5865-kubota-l3200.html

Also, L3200 HST owners manuals and Shop manuals are available free online in PDF formats at some Kubota dealers or available for purchase and download at limited costs, also check eBay.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Thanks rademamj1 for the hydraulic fluid capacity info. Yes I've overfilled mine ...oops, good job I have not used it, I will drain out some fluid and fill it up very slowly to ensure I catch the fluid level in the sight glass.

I've looked for a manual across the web to buy but cannot find one for the L3200 HST, I will give Coleman or Messicks a call.

All my other equipment is new and I have the manuals, just goes to show you do need the book sometimes!

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS
This is very common issue due to that stupid sight glass. If it isn't bright white then it is over the glass. The fluid will make it look off white. You can put the tractor on a side hill or move the loader around to see if you can see the level but it has to be pretty close to the top of the glass for that to work and you would need to drain it anyway. What I did was partially unscrew the filter and let it drain and watch the glass until it comes down. JD dye will make your fluid bright red so you can see it but I haven't used it. The part number is Mt 3668
A simple dipstick would have saved a lot of people a lot of aggravation.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Not sure why people worry about too much hydraulic oil, it's a large tank. Not under pressure, just a reserve. I have the first year model of this tractor, so not sure if your model is different.

One of it's first weak points of the standard "L" was the internal overriding CAMS. It was noisy when it was used so Kubota came up with a solution to add another gallon (or 2??) to raise up the oil level to submerge these CAMs in oil.

Kubota removed the sight class and mounted a little riser with a dip stick so you could check the new (higher) oil lever. I did not get one installed since I thought I would break that riser off in no time but felt safe in running extra oil in my reserve tank.

Did anyone with the 2004 and 2005 models get this "Product Improvement Bulletin" done to their tractor??

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Quazz - I'm going to do exactly as you suggest and just loosen the HST filter and drain fluid while watching the sight glass, hopefully this should be an easy task.

I just did the first 50 hour service on my L3901 HST and replaced the HST filter, I lost a little hydraulic fluid in the process but this was so easy to manage the top off as it has a dip stick in the center of the floor area for the hydraulic fluid.

Old & Tired - Thanks for the manual links, I already have these manuals for the L3200 but they do not cover or refer to the L3200 HST model. In fact it was these manuals that got me in to trouble by overfilling as the non HST L3200 uses about a gallon more than the HST model.

If anyone has the L3200 HST owners manual I would love to pay for a copy.

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS
Quazz - I'm going to do exactly as you suggest and just loosen the HST filter and drain fluid while watching the sight glass, hopefully this should be an easy task.

I just did the first 50 hour service on my L3901 HST and replaced the HST filter, I lost a little hydraulic fluid in the process but this was so easy to manage the top off as it has a dip stick in the center of the floor area for the hydraulic fluid.

Old & Tired - Thanks for the manual links, I already have these manuals for the L3200 but they do not cover or refer to the L3200 HST model. In fact it was these manuals that got me in to trouble by overfilling as the non HST L3200 uses about a gallon more than the HST model.

If anyone has the L3200 HST owners manual I would love to pay for a copy.
It is easy. You don't need to take the filter off completely but if you are way overfilled you might have to start the tractor a couple of times.

rademamj1

Nov 30, 2019
Waco,Texas
I recommend just going to NAPA and buying the highest quality hand siphon pump you can find, and siphon off just one gallon of hydraulic fluid into a container. I think they come with 3/8" clear plastic tubes, about 3 feet long and should do the job cleanly and easily.