L2900 oil sight glass

clemsonreeder

Equipment
Kubota L2900 GST
Aug 16, 2021
Summerville, SC
Just got this 2000 L2900 GST. The sight glass on the transmission case is white. The oil level can not be seen from fill cap opening either. Pics attached. Replace sight glass?? Add oil??
PXL_20210816_204244175.jpg
PXL_20210816_204516243.jpg

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
It is definitely low on oil, EDIT: probably because your sight glass is leaking. Should be about 1/2 way up the sight glass. It's a white disc behind the clear glass to help you see the level. You can pry it off with a putty knife, clean the sealing area and the case very well with brakleen or lacquer thinner and reseal it. Threebond is the spec sealer but any oil resistant silicone will work like Permatex Ultra Black Maximum Oil RTV 82180. If you didn't get a solid service history from the PO, it's in your best interest to do the GST fluid change.

Edit: I forgot to mention... if you're not draining the fluid, get the left side higher than the right on a slight incline or with wood blocks so you're fluid is below the boss for the sight glass.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I would not replace the sight glass or even mess with it. It's very difficult to see the clear hydraulic fluid against that white background. Get the suggested John Deere dye. Add it at the hydraulic filler. Run the tractor a minute or so to circulate it. If you still can't see it in the sight glass begin adding fluid but only about a quart at a time. It takes very little to go from too low to too full.

Reactions: 1 users

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I reread the original post two more times but did not see anywhere it said the glass was leaking. I generally follow the theory that if it ain't broke don't fix it. I read the post to say the OP couldn't see hydraulic fluid in the glass, not that it leaked. If the glass was leaking I would definitely attempt to solve that problem.

airbiscuit

Equipment
New Holland T2310, New Holland TC21D, Kubota l3010 GST, Farmall H
Mar 18, 2021
NW WI
I had the same issue with my L3010. The sight glass wasn't a nice clear glass, but a little yellowish, so I wasn't sure if I would be able to detect the oil line. To test my theory, I parked the tractor with the front wheels on an uphill incline and looked at the sight glass. Voila, the oil line appeared! I now knew I could see it. I added about a quart of UDT, and now my tractor and i are happy. That John Deere dye is also an excellent idea.
Without the dye, it will look like this pic, but with a little less definition.
1629177976101.png

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
I reread the original post two more times but did not see anywhere it said the glass was leaking. I generally follow the theory that if it ain't broke don't fix it....
Does the OP's 1st photo not show on your screen? It clearly shows oil weeping from the sight glass. Pretty sure that's what Pau7220 is talking about.

clemsonreeder

Equipment
Kubota L2900 GST
Aug 16, 2021
Summerville, SC
Does the OP's 1st photo not show on your screen? It clearly shows oil weeping from the sight glass. Pretty sure that's what Pau7220 is talking about.
UPDATE: I slowly added some fluid and could easily see the level on the glass. It only took about a quart or so. Also, the sight glass is leaking as well. I do intend on fixing that and had already ordered a replacement when I first posted. Hopefully, it just needs a good cleaning and re-sealing and perhaps I'll have a spare sight glass now. Thank you all for the help.

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Also, the sight glass is leaking as well. I do intend on fixing that and had already ordered a replacement when I first posted. Hopefully, it just needs a good cleaning and re-sealing
Some things don't need to be said.........;) A pic is worth 1000 words.

Sorry........ Also forgot to welcome you and good luck with your new machine!! (rough day yesterday)

Last edited: