L2900 Hydraulic Flid leaking down drive shaft

bigt88

Nov 24, 2014
louisiana
So I found the leak behind the reason the original owner let the tractor sit up. I was told it would need to be split to fix..
I did some research and see that Kubota has a service bulletin PSB-1998-012, repair kit TA040-98001.

I have the kit on order and will try this first. After sliding the two covers forward exposing the drive shaft to the front tires I can see the leak dripping out where the shaft goes in..
Any Advice? Kit should be in Wednesday. Don't know when ill be able to tackle the job..

ctmike

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L 3750 DT with loader, brush mower, rear grader blade, box scraper, rear blower,
May 10, 2013
Suffield, CT
If the leak is where the front drive shaft goes into the gearbox underneath the transmission, I had that same leak. When I got the tractor, it didn't have the cover over the driveshaft and I did some brush hogging in tall grass. The grass got caught on the exposed drive shaft and wound itself around so tight, I needed a knife to cut it off. The grass had gotten under the oil seal and started leaking after that. The repair was easy, the driveshaft cover was expensive. No problems since fixing it though.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
ctmike,
On your model and my model it's easy on his model not so much, it's inside the case! ;)

bigt88,
You could be looking at having to split it and replace the 2 seals inside.

Attachments

Last edited:

orangeMosheen

Equipment
L2900 GST with front loader, bush hog, and box scraper
Feb 21, 2015
Lancaster, Ohio
I am having the same issue (just started pouring out a couple weeks ago).

Hey @North Idaho Wolfman - Is the need to split to repair this the case for all L2900s or is there a delineation on splitting versus simply replacing a seal from the outside? Mine is a 1994 model (serial 508something). trying to determine if this is a repair I want to tackle, or if I want to leave it to a "professional".

Thanks for any guidance/input!!