L2850DT (1988) Electrical System

Artichoke

Equipment
L2850DT
May 15, 2022
At some point, before it came to live with me in 2014, someone changed the beast to positive ground. You know, like the 55 Fords used to be? Worked great until my husband put the battery in backwards and oopsey! Well, we are changing it back to the as-from-factory negative ground, but I wound love input on why someone might have decided to make this change. & What might we expect as we go back to "original intentions". Already stumbling over glow plug wiring issues. What else might be lurking? TIA! Oh, and please speak slowly - - I am way more than twice as old, but much dumber than the Beast.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
1st you'll need the proper wiring diagram for your tractor ! Don't start re-rewiring without it !!!
some things to looks for are...
generator needs to be re 'flashed', simple and easy
ammeter connections need to be reversed

would need to see wiring diagram to comment on 'other' things

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
At some point, before it came to live with me in 2014, someone changed the beast to positive ground. You know, like the 55 Fords used to be? Worked great until my husband put the battery in backwards and oopsey! Well, we are changing it back to the as-from-factory negative ground, but I wound love input on why someone might have decided to make this change. & What might we expect as we go back to "original intentions". Already stumbling over glow plug wiring issues. What else might be lurking? TIA! Oh, and please speak slowly - - I am way more than twice as old, but much dumber than the Beast.
There is no logical reason to switch the polarity.
Had to have fried the alternator or the regulator.

Reactions: 1 user