L245 hard steering

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
I just bought a L245. The guy that sold it to me did tell me the steering was hard but he thought it might be because its been sitting and he thought it might clear up some after some use.
I bought it at a very fair price so I wouldnt mind replacing the steering gear box if I need to.
I have a steering knob on the steering wheel and its takes a lot of effort to steer this tractor.
I understand its manual steering and not power but my question is that, if the steering box was in perfect shape then I should be able to steer with one hand right ?
Thanks

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Yeah should not be that tight. Do you have a FEL you can lift the front off the ground with to check how easy or not the wheels turn by hand and by steering wheel? Do the front wheels have enough air in them?

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
Thanks coachgeo.
Air is fine. No FEL.
No safe way to lift right now.
I tried to knock the tie rod out from the pitman arm to see how much easier the gear box turns by itself but cant get it loose without getting tool and replacement to start with would be great.
Also another test result I have so maybe someone can relate to this, is that when the tractor is sitting still and I grab the steering knob then I have to use both hands on the spinner to get the wheels to turn.

Last edited:

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I had a L245 for years, was hard to turn the wheels when sitting still, but easy if rolling. Is this how yours is? You really should get a jack under it and lift the front end up.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I had to deal with an old satoh. Steering box had bad bearings due to water getting in. King pins or steering knuckles never saw grease. Knocked everything apart, cleaned and lubed everything and new bearings in steering box. Was a great improvement. My L1501 steers beautiful, better with some load on three point.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I have a @WD L185 and it is very easy to steer. I think you will end up needing to rebuild the steering box, but I agree that you should get the front end up to see if it moves easily.

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
Thanks for all the help.
Its been suggested that I lift the front up and try the steering so I will try that today.
Will update later.
Bluegill I would say its almost as hard to steer while moving as it is sitting still.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Thanks for all the help.
Its been suggested that I lift the front up and try the steering so I will try that today.
Will update later.
Bluegill I would say its almost as hard to steer while moving as it is sitting still.
Well, I'd guess you have a gearbox problem then.

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
Thanks.
You are probably right. Now I wont be happy until I lift it and try for sure for myself.

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
I lifted front and steering is the same with front wheels off the ground as it is when they are on the ground and moving...still hard to turn. I would think that it would be much easier with the wheels off the ground than what Im feeling hear.
Thanks again for all the help.
I think Im going to go ahead and get another gear box and replace the tie rod ends.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Pull the pitman arm off of the gear box or at least the drag link that goes from the pitman arm to the frontend.
You could have bad spindle bearings, it's sort of an oddity to even think about the spindles as most of us have 4wd's and the fronts on those do not have the same bearing setup, and are not prone to binding there.

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
Thanks North Idaho Wolfman.
Curiosity was killing me so I was able to get a tie rod end loose.
Both wheels turn with great ease and are very smooth and free.
They are also very tight as far as bearing wear/free-play/looseness.
The steering box is the same.
I was going to order all tie rod ends to keep from any undo stress on the new steering box but now Im thinking that I wont need them.
Steering box problem for sure at this point.
Thanks again.

PMK

Equipment
L5450, L295DT, L245DT, '05 RTV900, '09 RTV900
Mar 24, 2014
Austin, TX
any updates on this? yeah, I know this is a 9 year old thread, but one of the few I've found with similar issue that I ran into yesterday. I have an L245DT that we have owned since back in the mid 1980s. It's been sitting for a couple of years as I use my L5450 for pretty much everything. Yesterday I needed the smaller one and fired up the L245DT and found the steering is completely stuck. I plan on pulling the plug to the steering box and adding oil and also the plugs to the front axles to add fluid. I seem to recall that one of the front spindles was weeping fluid due to a ball seal, and thinking that over time, that area might be the issue and stuck. Not something I had in my time schedule, especially with these 100° days upon us.