L185DT 4WD control

jimbo921

Aug 2, 2011
Ashtabula, Ohio, USA
Recently got a L185DT and I don't see where to select between 4wd and 2wd. Is it always 4wd? I have a 4 speed with a hi-lo lever on the side (making it 8 speed). A 3 speed PTO, and other lever that moves for and aft next to the hi/lo lever which I'm not sure what it does. Is this it?

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
I would guess that your mystery lever on the same side as your H/L lever is your 2/4WD. That's where mine is. I leave mine in 4WD, but I don't have any paved ground either.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Just test it and see- back up a steep grade of gravel or grass, and see if the back tires slip. Then (probably) move it down, and see if the tires slip. That will tell you if it is the 2WD/4WD lever, and if the 4WD works.
I'm not scolding you or anything, but you should have checked that out before you bought it- what if the 4WD doesn't work? It is easier to deal with the issue prior to the deal being made.

jimbo921

Aug 2, 2011
Ashtabula, Ohio, USA
Yup, the mystery lever is 4wd. I can hear a slight "whine" in drive train in higher gears when engaged. I verified pulling some big logs around in the mud this weekend and all works OK.

Not much of a risk checking operation upon "purchase" I got the tractor as a swap for doing some backhoe work.

This thing is a little beast!