L1501 power upgrade

Datson280z

Equipment
Kubota l1501
Jan 27, 2024
Qld australia
Has anyone done much with a l1501 for more power I love this little tractor but a little more would be great I've thought about a few ideas but unsure what others think. One being turbo but I don't expect that to be successful as it's only a low displacement 2cyl. Another being to swap the pistons and liners to the z851 but unsure what is interchangeable. A third option is a small supercharger. Has anyone had any experience or ideas on this?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Best option, Buy a bigger HP tractor.

You're dealing with 40+ year old tech that has inherent limitations.
Adding anything or altering it, will more than likely just leave you with nothing but a pile of broken parts.

Reactions: 1 users

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Unless something is a downgraded variation, upgrading an already maxxed out engine is going to have a lot of cost and little gain. Wolfman is spot on with 'If you need more power, you need a larger machine.
Add more power...need to beef up drive train...Need to add mass to get the power to the ground.
The only time doing significant modifications make any sense (and even then...) is when you have a full shop, are a expert in the area and you like the idea of a blown Hemi on a garden tractor or bar stool. And you own the bar.

Datson280z

Equipment
Kubota l1501
Jan 27, 2024
Qld australia
I respect your replys but the back end is the same up to 22hp and their is a higher hp version of my motor it's just another 100cc of bore size and its 18hp. Most of the engine is the same including the head their is just a few more passages in the block for cooling is all. Why do you think it will just up and break? I like this tractor with the setup it is I'm not to keep to update it

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I really doubt that anything we say is going to sway you otherwise.
You have it in your mind that it can be done, and you want to do it, so have at it.

Wish you the best of luck in your adventure.

Reactions: 1 user