kx040-4 Excavator DPF

arathkopf

Equipment
Kubota kx040-4
Jan 5, 2021
New Milford CT
I just bought a used one with a little over 2400hrs. I noticed the DPF filter regen comes on daily. Any one know if this is normal or if this is an indication of its about to tell me its time to get it cleaned.

If I do need to get it cleaned anyone know how to remove the DPF filter so I can bring it somewhere to get it cleaned?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex., Beer fridge
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I just bought a used one with a little over 2400hrs. I noticed the DPF filter regen comes on daily. Any one know if this is normal or if this is an indication of its about to tell me its time to get it cleaned.

If I do need to get it cleaned anyone know how to remove the DPF filter so I can bring it somewhere to get it cleaned?
I believe the DPF self cleans during the regen cycle. I also believe you do not take it out to be cleaned, but rather to replace it.

You probably should get a manual for the excavator if you do not have one.

My Kubota engines are older so no DPF.

I am sure someone here with actual knowledge will offer some real help...

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Hang in there, there are only a couple people on the forum that can access the shop manual or that have first hand knowledge of that excavator. Running a regen every day is odd unless you are letting the machine sit and idle a lot? But depending on its previous use you may be reaching the end of the life for that dpf filter. Do you have an operators manual? Shop manual?

Start by browsing the Kubota website to see whether that model qualifies for their dpf filter exchange program. It will give you some idea of cost. The shop manual could then talk you through disconnecting the sensors etc to get the filter out. However reinstalling it will require a dealer and his computer interface to get it going again. So next call might be to a couple of Kubota dealers.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Welcome to the forum, I have a newish Kx040-04 and have the owners manual and work shop manual. The workshop manual excludes the engine and does not have a lot of info on the DPF system. The operators manual has a number of pages, see attached file.

As you will see their should be different messages when the DPF needs to be repaired or exchanged. Are you sure it is working the DPF cycle correctly?

Message me directly with your email if you would like a full pdf copy of the operators manual.

Attachments

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Welcome to the forum, I have a newish Kx040-04 and have the owners manual and work shop manual. The workshop manual excludes the engine and does not have a lot of info on the DPF system. The operators manual has a number of pages, see attached file.

As you will see their should be different messages when the DPF needs to be repaired or exchanged. Are you sure it is working the DPF cycle correctly?

Message me directly with your email if you would like a full pdf copy of the operators manual.
Thanks for posting that, it is quite different from the tractors, and I must say following the translation is challenging!

arathkopf

Equipment
Kubota kx040-4
Jan 5, 2021
New Milford CT

I do have the operators manual and the service manual. I'm brand new to using an excavator so I have a learning curve to get over. I find that it is regenerating daily on me. I have a feeling though its because I run at low RPMS. Since I'm new running faster causes alot of jerkiness.

What is optimal RPM to run at so I can see if that is the cause. I assume running wide open all the time is not good either.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
The optimal rpm should vary according to task. Look at your manual for start up procedure. On mine you start with throttle all the way down then increase to 1250 for a warm up period, which is short. Then choose rpm according to safe performance of task. I use auto throttle so rpm goes up and down as needed. Much of the particle accumulation occurs during the warm up period, or if the tractor is standing still with the throttle all the way down. These engines have modern features that make them easy to start. There is no need to leave them idle if you get off for 5 minutes. Shut the engine OFF. The pdf above says normal regen frequency is 20 to 30 hrs. How many hours a day are you using yours, and how hard is it working?

arathkopf

Equipment
Kubota kx040-4
Jan 5, 2021
New Milford CT
The optimal rpm should vary according to task. Look at your manual for start up procedure. On mine you start with throttle all the way down then increase to 1250 for a warm up period, which is short. Then choose rpm according to safe performance of task. I use auto throttle so rpm goes up and down as needed. Much of the particle accumulation occurs during the warm up period, or if the tractor is standing still with the throttle all the way down. These engines have modern features that make them easy to start. There is no need to leave them idle if you get off for 5 minutes. Shut the engine OFF. The pdf above says normal regen frequency is 20 to 30 hrs. How many hours a day are you using yours, and how hard is it working?
I use it maybe 8 hours each day. Once I warm it up I usually have the dial at half throttle and turn on Eco mode and Auto idle.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I use it maybe 8 hours each day. Once I warm it up I usually have the dial at half throttle and turn on Eco mode and Auto idle.
Hmm, I am clueless as to how Eco mode and Auto idle work. Hopefully an excavator user or tech will log on and offer opinion on optimal use. Do you have a screen that shows dpf filling real time? Every 8 hours for a regen seems a little fast.

arathkopf

Equipment
Kubota kx040-4
Jan 5, 2021
New Milford CT
Hmm, I am clueless as to how Eco mode and Auto idle work. Hopefully an excavator user or tech will log on and offer opinion on optimal use. Do you have a screen that shows dpf filling real time? Every 8 hours for a regen seems a little fast.
The screen doesn't show me real time that the DPF is filling. So far it only said that its regenerating but I can continue working. One time it told me to raise the RPM so it could regenerate though.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
The screen doesn't show me real time that the DPF is filling. So far it only said that its regenerating but I can continue working. One time it told me to raise the RPM so it could regenerate though.
The question I was going to ask was about regen RPM.

I thought from reading various posts related to tractors, that once a regen cycle starts one must keep RPM high until the cycle finishes. The reason being that particulates need to be burned off in the DPF. Higher rpm equates to more heat in the DPF.

Perhaps you are not getting a proper regen and therefore are being asked to do it over daily?

Appreciate if someone can set me straight on this...

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan

I thought from reading various posts related to tractors, that once a regen cycle starts one must keep RPM high until the cycle finishes. The reason being that particulates need to be burned off in the DPF. Higher rpm equates to more heat in the DPF.

Perhaps you are not getting a proper regen and therefore are being asked to do it over daily?

Yes you are correct. I believe one of my manuals warns against lowering rpm and interrupting a regen cycle.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Both of those sound Normal. Does it announce regeneration complete?

Two more sources of information: local dealer/person you bought it from, and Kubota’s technical sources from their main website. You can input your name and serial number of your unit, and pose a question. They sometimes just say ask your dealer, but I have gotten useful information with persistance, especially if you are able to point out that the information you seek is not interpretable from manual.

For the time being I would recommend you go on learning how to efficiently and safely use it at an rpm that you are comfortable with, and minimize the amount of time that the unit spends at a dead idle. See how that goes. One specific question you could look for an answer to is expected hours on that model dpf filter. I remember something like 3,000 on mine, and figured I was unlikely to get there, but your usage is another matter.

arathkopf

Equipment
Kubota kx040-4
Jan 5, 2021
New Milford CT

It always finishes the Regen but the next day after I use it for a few hours it will start again.

arathkopf

Equipment
Kubota kx040-4
Jan 5, 2021
New Milford CT
It always finishes the Regen but the next day after I use it for a few hours it will start again.
I just got off the phone with the service manager where I bought it. He said running at lower RPM's is definitely the cause of more frequent regens. He recommends running at as close to wide open as possible. I will give it a shot and let everyone know.

arathkopf

Equipment
Kubota kx040-4
Jan 5, 2021
New Milford CT
I just got off the phone with the service manager where I bought it. He said running at lower RPM's is definitely the cause of more frequent regens. He recommends running at as close to wide open as possible. I will give it a shot and let everyone know.
I also found the service manual for the engine if anyone wants it.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
You should always run it wide open, if you are going to be out of it for more than a few minutes, shut it off.

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
You should always run it wide open, if you are going to be out of it for more than a few minutes, shut it off.
Just a question, that may help the OP as well...

I just bought an old but hopefully still functional and reliable mini EX. A KX41-2V.

When using the backhoe on my B2910, I NEVER ran the engine full out, but mostly around 15-1800 RPM. Just felt right for me.

With this excavator, should I be running the engine full out as I am using it? Is 2/3 speed an issue with an older machine that does not have a DPF?

I guess fast engine RPM would equate to more power/higher hydraulic pressure? So more ability to pull harder?

Guess I am wondering if I should always just run the thing "balls to the wall" no matter what I am doing...

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Just a question, that may help the OP as well...

I just bought an old but hopefully still functional and reliable mini EX. A KX41-2V.

When using the backhoe on my B2910, I NEVER ran the engine full out, but mostly around 15-1800 RPM. Just felt right for me.

With this excavator, should I be running the engine full out as I am using it? Is 2/3 speed an issue with an older machine that does not have a DPF?

I guess fast engine RPM would equate to more power/higher hydraulic pressure? So more ability to pull harder?

Guess I am wondering if I should always just run the thing "balls to the wall" no matter what I am doing...
On older non DPF units, it's fine to run them at lower RPM's.
Like you said, it just limits it's strength and speed of movement.