Kubota T1880 Won't Drive

PoTreeBoy

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
3,990
2,470
113
WestTn/NoMs
After removing the decking, I checked the inside threads on the left side, which turn counterclockwise. I noticed the threads at the end of the opening had very little depth left, which is why the bolt and washer couldn’t hold a heavy cutting blade. I think the best solution is to visit a local Kubota dealer to have them rethread it and order a new blade set, washer, and bolt. What do you think is the best option?
I would buy an M12x1.25 LH Helicoil kit. The kit should contain the proper size drill bit, special LH tap, installation tool, and inserts. It'll probably be $100+. The next alternative is to replace the shaft, but will cost more time and money.
 

Pat_USA

Member

Equipment
Kubota T1880
May 8, 2026
76
15
8
Missouri
I would buy an M12x1.25 LH Helicoil kit. The kit should contain the proper size drill bit, special LH tap, installation tool, and inserts. It'll probably be $100+. The next alternative is to replace the shaft, but will cost more time and money.
On Amazon is $18, on eBay is around the same price. Is it complete kit on Amazon?



Buy New $17.99

Ships from
Amazon
Sold by
BILITOOLS

Used - Like New
$15.54


  • 2+
  • 6 VIDEOS
  • BILITOOLS M12x1.25 Thread Repair Kit, HSS Drill Helicoil Repair Kit Metric

BILITOOLS M12x1.25 Thread Repair Kit, HSS Drill Helicoil Repair Kit Metric
Visit the BILITOOLS Store
4.5 4.5 out of 5 stars (2,827)

#1 Best Sellerin Thread Metric Inserts & Repair Kits


Here is the link for this product:
 

Anil8tor

Member

Equipment
BX2660 Loader 60"belly mower
Jul 16, 2026
27
42
13
Ohio
What is the shaft? If the dealer won’t rethread it, I won’t do it. I’ll follow both of your advice. Please explain clearly what needs to be done so I can follow or have someone help me do it correctly. Don’t worry about your advice; I know you have good intentions, and I have common sense to judge what to do since it’s hard to tell from photos.
Here is a link to a video that shows the basics of using a tap and die set, for your needs just look at the tapping part. YouTube using a tap
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pat_USA

Member

Equipment
Kubota T1880
May 8, 2026
76
15
8
Missouri
Here is a link to a video that shows the basics of using a tap and die set, for your needs just look at the tapping part. YouTube using a tap
I just need to buy a tap M12x1.25 LH, manually turn it counterclockwise (reversing occasionally as suggested in the video), and use some oil—any lubricating oil?. Then, if I can’t find the blade, I’ll order it along with the bolt and washer again. It seems simple enough. Would ordering that product on Amazon be good enough for this job?
 

Caden

Active member

Equipment
1979 B7100
Apr 16, 2026
348
195
43
Virginia
I just need to buy a tap M12x1.25 LH, manually turn it counterclockwise (reversing occasionally as suggested in the video), and use some oil—any lubricating oil?. Then, if I can’t find the blade, I’ll order it along with the bolt and washer again. It seems simple enough. Would ordering that product on Amazon be good enough for this job?

For tapping, most anything works in terms of oil. This is my favorite:Tap Magic (amazon link)
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pat_USA

Member

Equipment
Kubota T1880
May 8, 2026
76
15
8
Missouri
For tapping, most anything works in terms of oil. This is my favorite:Tap Magic (amazon link)
Can someone share the correct link for an M12x1.25 LH counterclockwise thread tap?
I want to make sure I don’t buy the wrong one.
Also, is there a local store where I can purchase this counterclockwise tap?
 

Caden

Active member

Equipment
1979 B7100
Apr 16, 2026
348
195
43
Virginia
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pat_USA

Member

Equipment
Kubota T1880
May 8, 2026
76
15
8
Missouri
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

PoTreeBoy

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
3,990
2,470
113
WestTn/NoMs
I don't think a tap alone is going to fix it. If it has already shed the blade once, that tells me the threads are stripped and a tap isn't going to remake the threads.

A longer bolt might reach new threads deeper in the shaft, or drill the shaft deeper, tap deeper, and use a longer bolt. But left hand bolts, especially metric, are hard to come by and expensive.

I've looked at the parts and have a new alternative. The shaft is ~$68 IF, and that's a big if, it's available. The bearings, takes 2, are ~$18 each. Apparently these are sealed bearings, so replacing them would renew the bearings and seals. If you can get the pulley off the shaft, remove the spindle from the deck and have the dealer replace the shaft and bearings. If you can't get the pulley and spindle off, take the deck to the dealer. Ask the dealer if he can get the shaft and how much he would charge to do the work.

I'd appreciate comments from others.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pat_USA

Member

Equipment
Kubota T1880
May 8, 2026
76
15
8
Missouri
I don't think a tap alone is going to fix it. If it has already shed the blade once, that tells me the threads are stripped and a tap isn't going to remake the threads.

A longer bolt might reach new threads deeper in the shaft, or drill the shaft deeper, tap deeper, and use a longer bolt. But left hand bolts, especially metric, are hard to come by and expensive.

I've looked at the parts and have a new alternative. The shaft is ~$68 IF, and that's a big if, it's available. The bearings, takes 2, are ~$18 each. Apparently these are sealed bearings, so replacing them would renew the bearings and seals. If you can get the pulley off the shaft, remove the spindle from the deck and have the dealer replace the shaft and bearings. If you can't get the pulley and spindle off, take the deck to the dealer. Ask the dealer if he can get the shaft and how much he would charge to do the work.

I'd appreciate comments from others.
Okay, this is another option. I need to ask the dealer how many ways there are to fix this issue and which one is the cheapest. Or should I just buy another used rider? I really appreciate all the comments and help!
 

Paul Allwood

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7200HSTD, homemade FEL, front flail mower, forks & ballast box, tiller
Jul 8, 2025
813
1,516
93
Baranduda, Victoria, Australia
I don't think I'd be extra confident about drilling and tapping into the ends of the spindle. I had a spindle assembly apart on an old Kubota deck and the spindles are hardened. My guess is that yours are too. Re-tapping to clean up threads may be possible but I wouldn't bet on the chances of re-drilling and tapping larger.

As @ProTreeBoy mentions above, replacing the spindles may be best. This is a pretty easy job with a small press.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caden

Active member

Equipment
1979 B7100
Apr 16, 2026
348
195
43
Virginia
Or should I just buy another used rider?
No need for that just yet I don't think. Here's a couple of my thoughts:

1.). It's unlikely that the dealer will recommend the helicoil/ rethread route, but that doesn't mean it's not an option. Just going to cost decent money to get the materials to do it.

2.). The dealer may want to put a new shaft/ bearing in your spindle. (the shaft I refer to is the part that the bolt threads into, and has a pulley on the top side.) Keep in mind this will be somewhat expensive too since they will use Kubota parts and their labor hours since I'm not sure if you'd want to do this job yourself.

If I were you, I would compare the cost of these two options and choose between them over buying a new mower.

There is also the idea that you could buy a new spindle assembly. You could do this swap yourself (4 bolts), but I took a quick look and didn't see any obvious for sale. Maybe I looked in the wrong places.

Looks like there are lots of good ideas floating around here now, so maybe someone (smarter than me) can give you more definitive advise!
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pat_USA

Member

Equipment
Kubota T1880
May 8, 2026
76
15
8
Missouri
No need for that just yet I don't think. Here's a couple of my thoughts:

1.). It's unlikely that the dealer will recommend the helicoil/ rethread route, but that doesn't mean it's not an option. Just going to cost decent money to get the materials to do it.

2.). The dealer may want to put a new shaft/ bearing in your spindle. (the shaft I refer to is the part that the bolt threads into, and has a pulley on the top side.) Keep in mind this will be somewhat expensive too since they will use Kubota parts and their labor hours since I'm not sure if you'd want to do this job yourself.

If I were you, I would compare the cost of these two options and choose between them over buying a new mower.

There is also the idea that you could buy a new spindle assembly. You could do this swap yourself (4 bolts), but I took a quick look and didn't see any obvious for sale. Maybe I looked in the wrong places.

Looks like there are lots of good ideas floating around here now, so maybe someone (smarter than me) can give you more definitive advise!
These might not be the right ones, but the Kubota part is very expensive.
 

Attachments

Anil8tor

Member

Equipment
BX2660 Loader 60"belly mower
Jul 16, 2026
27
42
13
Ohio
I guess the above link is for RH (clockwise threads) so it would not work.
Well its hard to find a video for left hand taping, same process, except your turning counter clockwise. Do you have a hardware close by? If you can find the old bolt they can help you size the correct tap and drill and the new bolt. Get their advice and order whatever they don't have from amazon
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

Anil8tor

Member

Equipment
BX2660 Loader 60"belly mower
Jul 16, 2026
27
42
13
Ohio
Well its hard to find a video for left hand taping, same process, except your turning counter clockwise. Do you have a hardware close by? If you can find the old bolt they can help you size the correct tap and drill and the new bolt.
All this can be had on amazon, probably less than $40
 

Anil8tor

Member

Equipment
BX2660 Loader 60"belly mower
Jul 16, 2026
27
42
13
Ohio
Can someone share the correct link for an M12x1.25 LH counterclockwise thread tap?
I want to make sure I don’t buy the wrong one.
Also, is there a local store where I can purchase this counterclockwise tap?
Let me stress, since the old threads are almost gone you will need to go up one size. Since I don't know what size the old bolt is, I cant advise. Get that info and I could help with selecting what you need
 

PoTreeBoy

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
3,990
2,470
113
WestTn/NoMs
These might not be the right ones, but the Kubota part is very expensive.
The part number for the spindle assembly you need is K5124-71520, and it is over $600. I didn't find an aftermarket item. That's why I recommend replacing the shaft; it's the low cost - low risk solution, IF the shaft is available.

If the shaft isn't available, I'd go the Helicoil route with the caution from @Paul Allwood above. Hopefully, the shaft is case hardened and not too hard on the inside.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users